Home bound

I've never felt so at peace as I did, the way I was so comfortable beside my two favorite people. The way their breaths sounded identical the way I felt an immediate warmth when rick would twitch in his sleep or when Carl would take a really deep breath and exhale it slowly.

I liked these things because they're so unaware that their doing them. Their dreaming of something that caused them to twitch or sigh. They are so strong and unbreakable in their waking hours, but when they sleep, they are at peace. They surround me with an aura of wellness and happiness even though the world is at parol.

I listen to the sound of the fire cracking and dying slowly. I fell asleep for a bit, but I can't seem to sleep as soundly as Rick or Carl. I look up at the sky and see a few stars and smell the cool breeze that is fading from winter into warmer days.

Slowly, I drift off.

When I wake, Rick is walking the perimeter of the prison and Carl is poking the coals with a stick. "You ready?" I hear Maggie ask me. I nod and stand up. "Yeah right." Hershel says and takes my hand.

I look at him in confusion. "Janey, you're almost 7 months pregnant. You can't go in there to kill the rest of them, it's too dangerous." He says. "Everything's dangerous now." I retort. "Well, you're making choices for two people. Not just yourself, but that baby too." He says and I am defeated.

We walk up to the closest chain link to the prison and wait for daryl, maggie, glenn, Tdog and Rick to kill the walkers inside. Rick comes up behind me and puts his hand on my back. "I know this is something you want to help with but..." He begins. "I know, not only making decisions for myself...also this baby yeah yeah. Be safe, okay? If somethin doesn't feel right you get out of there." I say and he cups my cheek. "Okay." He says. He briefly rests his head on mine before kissing me lightly.

"We gonna do this? Or are we gonna stand around until the walkers kill themselves from all this lovey dovey crap?" Daryl spits. I turn to him "I bet there's a hopeless romantic in there somewhere." I smirk. "Stop." He rolls his eyes and grabs his crossbow off the fence.

"Come on Carl." I say and we walk over to the fence. Rick nods to me and they quickly open the fence and run inside. Glenn quickly closed it and they get into formation. I watch as they slowly move through the courtyard.

Maggie takes down a walker, then glenn, then Daryl and so on. They take down dozens and I watch in amazement, longing to be able to do it. They turn around a corner and i can't see them. "Where'd they go?" I panic. "They're fine, I still hear them." Carol says. I move down the fence and Carl follows. I hear shouting and names being shouted. I watch and wait in anticipation.

"You good?" I hear daryls raspy voice shout. "Yeah we're good! T?" Maggie shouts back. "All good here." T answers. "Yeah." Rick shouts and a flow of relief falls over me. "Let's go!" Daryl shouts at us and Hershel opens the gate.

We walk through and I follow behind the group with Carl and Carol at my sides. "We're staying in cell block C." Rick announces. We go in and all look around in amazement. I put my hands on Beth's shoulders and she smiles up at me. "It's not a five star suite, but it'll do." T says and finds a cell to sleep in.

"It'll do..." I whisper to myself. Rick and I find a cell on the first floor, next to Carl's. I look up through the window and see it's only mid day/ late afternoon and I'm already exhausted. Being pregnant is tiring.

Rick sits in the bottom bunk beside me and I smile at him. "You did good today." I say and lean my head on his shoulder. "Yeah..." He mutters, he must be even more tired than me. "I'm tired." I whisper and he nods.

I pull out an old, flat pillow from my bag, a ratted sheet and a large knit blanket. I 'make' the bed and me and Rick climb into it. He holds my body into his and kisses the back of my neck. "I really do love you. I don't know if you believed me last night, but I do." He says, his voice low.