Once the holidays had started, Ron, me and Harry were having too good a time to think much about Flamel. The boys had their dormitory to themselves and the common room was far emptier than usual, so we were all able to get the good armchairs by the fire.

We sat by the hour eating anything we could spear on a toasting fork- bread, English muffins, marshmallows- and plotting ways of getting Malfoy expelled, which were fun to talk about even if they wouldn't work.

Hermione had gone home for the weekend, but we continuously owled each other across the days, missing someone to read with. Ron and Harry didn't study much, and didn't see the point in reading for fun. Cedric offered to stay back, but I insisted he go to his parents. Fred and George were spending time by themselves; probably plotting something. I didn't really mind; if they needed my help, they'd ask. I could plan pranks on them easier, however. Pranks that would actually surprise them and the whole school. The girls all went home to their parents, telling me that if I needed them, they were just an owl away. I'd figured that I'd be fine in Harry and Ron's company.

Ron also started teaching Harry wizard chess. Ron was brilliant at it, but I was one of the only ones who could beat him at it. Ron's set was very old and battered. I'd bought a new one, and traded with Ron. It had sentimental value.

It had once belonged to someone else in our family- in this case, our grandfather. However, old chessmen weren't a drawback at all. Both Ron and I knew them so well that we never had trouble getting them to do what we wanted.

On Christmas Eve, I'd decided to sleep in Harry and Ron's dorm, for some extra late night studying. Fred and George were unbearably bratty if they didn't get their beauty sleep. I went to bed looking forward to the next day for the food and the fun, not so much the presents. When I woke early in the morning, the first thing I saw was a large pile of packages at the foot of Ron's bed, my excitement for presents from the years before was quickly rekindled.

"Merry Christmas," said Ron sleepily as Harry scrambled out of bed and pulled on his bathrobe.

"You, too," replied Harry. "Will you look at this? I've got some presents!"

"What were you expecting, turnips?" I asked, my words not matching the large grin on my face. I was proud to say that, after a quick survey of the room, I'd gotten the most presents.

I scrambled out of bed, shivering a bit as the cold air hit me. I picked up the gift at the top of the pile, my grin growing as I saw who it was. Cedric. I unwrapped the snowman wrapping paper- I'd have to ask him where he got that later- to find a large fluffy blanket. I sighed in satisfaction, wrapping it around my shoulders like a cloak as I read the letter that came with it.

Dear Roxanne,

Merry Christmas! I figured you'd be awfully cold since I'm not here, so there you are! I know you got me a present, though I keep telling you I don't need one.

This time there is something this time, however. A request I'm afraid only you'll be able to fulfill.

Go out with me, Rox?

Lots and lots of love, Cedric

PS: Mum made me sign it with my full name. I would've just used Ced if she hadn't.

I chuckled, succeeding in ignoring the warmth blooming across my cheeks at the nickname and the way he signed his name. Usually he'd just sign it with "Your favorite person, Cedric" which I'd deny every time. Freddie and Georgie were obviously my favorites.

I'd gotten nothing from Fred and George, which was expected. Their present to me was always given in person, so I'd be expecting something from them once we saw them, which would most likely be as soon as we left the room; if not, then sooner. Bill, Charlie and Ginny preferred to do that as well. Percy had never gotten me gifts; we were never close, so that was the result. Not that I was sad about it; it'd probably just be a lecture about following the rules more; as if I didn't get enough of those already.