|22| Mom

|Mom|

After much deliberation, we were deciding whether to just sit in a McDonald's parking lot and make out before returning home. Ace chose not to do that, which would have been nice for me. Let us just say that he is far more sensible than I am. Taking our relationship to the next level presents additional challenges, even though it gives me more confidence in my decision to trust him. We are not dating by any means, but playing around could have serious repercussions. Especially if anybody finds out. Ace was very adamant about that.

Before we even reached the driveway, Ace decided it would be a good idea to go over some ground rules. Although I am not one to follow rules, he made sense in this particular situation. Even though I find it annoying to keep our situation a secret, I am ready to be a trooper. Though I won't lie and say it didn't feel like he was trying to keep me secret because it does feel that way. While I'm understanding of the circumstances, does this mean our fling is temporary?

Ace turned to face me, his eyes full of resolve as he turned off the SUV. "There will be no mention of this," he was stern. "I mean it. Not even to Tana."

I licked my lips because I was going to tell that exact person. "Pshh, I wasn't going to say anything," I crossed my arms.

"You and I both know that's a lie." He jested. "We also need to stop having these adorable exchanges. I am just Ace in front of other people." Wasn't he just that all the time?

Either way, I accepted his terms in full as we go inside. We are returning later than usual, so I am anxious as I approach the door. Despite our lack of familiarity, Hailey is quick to pick up on any irregularities. If she feels that we are too close for comfort, she is always on our ass. I do not really care for her opinion, but I think it is best to avoid offending her. Reminding her of her employer would not hurt, though.

Tyler stood out among the others for his laid-back demeanor. With him, you really only need to be concerned about his comedic timing. Although Ace does not find them particularly funny, I think they are hilarious. Especially with the way he seems to get under Ace's skin. It is funny to see the embarrassed look on his face whenever Tyler makes fun of him. There's my source for getting to know Ace if I'm ever wanting more.

I am taken aback to see the company that is waiting for me in a weird turn of events. It's been awhile since anyone has come over that weren't hired by my father. Tana's parents rarely let her come no matter how much we may beg. I'm guessing with the adage of protection that they were more willing. They saw how Ace protected us both that faithful night. I'm sure they've built up a great deal of respect for him.

Who I'm most shocked to see is Jake Trubisky. I never officially agree to be friends with him and now he just shows up at my house. I get enough of his delinquency at school. Now he's in my home with intentions unclear. This wasn't the grandiose gesture he thought it was. I'm quite taken back not knowing how to react to his presence.

Leave it to Jake to take things a step further by engulfing me. His squeeze is tight and I have to admit how handsomely he smells. It's so captivating that I got lost when hugging him. It was hard to stop my nostrils from sniffing with how close he was. My face snuggles in between his chest, inhaling the scent of pine trees and rustic air as much as I can. This was heaven.

Jake likes that, smiling so hard. "I'll have to wear this scent more often if it'll get you to react this way." He coos.

I quickly push him aside embarrassed that I got so caught up. "Jake, what are you doing here?" I couldn't stop myself from asking.

"Yeah, Jake, what are you doing here?" Ace steps in with a disdain so venomous it was hard for him to hide it.

And so, the stare down commences with them bearing frowns at one another. The animosity in the room feels so heavy. Between the both of them, I'm not sure whose hatred was stronger. I know that night turned Ace off from Jake, but there has to be more to this story. I'm not understanding how one interaction could make you dislike someone to such great lengths. It probably doesn't help that, for a minute there, I was lost in the sauce. It's not my fault Jake smells so good. That was out of my control.