𝟎𝟎𝟐. 𝐣𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐡𝐨, 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐚

JERICHO, CALIFORNIA
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter two, season one

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝐬𝐭, 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟓
―୨୧⋆ ˚ MARLEY'S POV

   𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐌 𝐀𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐎 𝐉𝐎𝐈𝐍 𝐔𝐒, 𝐈'𝐕𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐋𝐘 𝐐𝐔𝐈𝐄𝐓. I don't have anything to say, because what does one say to their brother who they haven't seen to in three years?

   While I've missed him, something feels off between us, like we don't know what to say after all this time. I remember speaking to him on the phone every night, and now we can't even look at one another without it being awkward. We have nothing to say, none of us.

   We're currently parked at a gas station waiting for Dean to pay for the gas. I've now been demoted to the backseat of the car as Sam sits shotgun. 'Ramblin' Man' by the Allman Brothers plays, and I hum the tune quietly. My music taste revolves around whatever Dean used to put on when I was a kid. I've grown up with the classics, with his favourites, and I know nearly every tune off by heart.

   I look over at Sam to see him rifling through the cassette tape collection, and I sink back into my chair, feeling defeated. I used to be able to talk to Sam better than anyone, and now I can't even open my mouth without overthinking the words that'll come out.

   "Hey! You two want breakfast?" I peer my head out the window to see Dean who holds up a bag of chips. He's always eating. He's always hungry. I suspect he's making up for the lack of food he ate while we were growing up.

   "No, thanks!"

   Dean makes his way back towards the car. "How'd you pay for that stuff?" He climbs into the front seat, placing the food down in between him and Sam. "You and Dad still running credit card scams?"

"Yeah, well, hunting ain't exactly a pro ball career." We barely had a penny growing up, so the only way to make a little money is to scam the idiots that send us the cards. "Besides, we just apply. It's not our fault they send us the cards."

   Sam scoffs. "Yeah? And what names did you write on the application this time?"

   "Uh, Bert Aframian and his son Hector. Scored two cards out of the deal."

   Sam looks back to the box of cassette tapes. "I swear, man, you gotta update your cassette tape collection."

"Why?" I ask from the back.