Illness

Author's Note: Hello everyone! I'm back after a long absence, I know. This is a fanfiction based on The 100. I hope you enjoy it because I am having a blast writing it!

(P.S. I am a major Bellarke fan, but I wanted to do something different than all the stories I read. As a result, I made up a character. Enjoy!)

-Brea
~~~

Illness.

"I'm home!" Hunter called as she opened her front door. She stepped inside, smelling the familiar scents of hospital and sweat. She placed her bag on the hook next to the door and sighed tiredly. Her mother's choice of music today seemed to be Frank Sinatra-"You Go to My Head" played softly through the speakers. Hunter's father had given his ration for weeks to get those speakers for his wife.

"How was work, Hun?" Her father asked from beside her sickly mother. They were both smiling at Hunter, even if her mother's was a weak one.

"It was good. Mom, Joey has gotten so much better with the recorder, just like you said he would. Anna says hi and feel better and Caroline wrote you a "Feel Better" song." The cheery 20 year old told her mother in an excited rush.

"I miss my kids! I miss being a music teacher." Her mom said softly, but still had a soft smile on her face.

"Don't worry, sweetheart, you'll go back any day now. When you do, Hunter can get herself another job and not have to teach your music class." Her dad said genuinely and kissed her frail hand.

Hunter turned away from them and got a glass of water, shutting her eyes tightly. They all knew that would never happen. He was in denial, he had been for a while, never grasping the seriousness of her mother's illness.

After the small family had eaten a small dinner, they talked quietly in their shared bedroom.

"Hunter, watch over your mother. I'll be back soon." Her father said and kissed both of their foreheads.

Hunter's eyebrows furrowed as he spoke. "Where are you going this late?" He slipped his jacket on and ignored her question.

"I'll be back soon." He simply said and opened their metal front door, leaving with a heavy sigh.

This was the third in the past few weeks that he had to leave during the night. Why was he leaving now? Couldn't he had left before dinner?

"Mom, where does Dad go when he leaves this late?" Hunter asked her mother, helping her sip water from her glass.

"He probably gets called to work for something... the night shift maybe?" She mumbled, but she didn't know either. Hunter didn't buy it.

She sat down next to her mom and kissed her cheek. She was very pretty, despite looking ill. Hunter began brushing the knots away from her mother's long hair, braiding it slowly. Her mother had a spasm and knocked the glass from the table, spilling the water everywhere.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry, Hunter." Her mother repeated over and over, beginning to panic.

"Mom, it's okay." Hunter said, grasping her shaking hands in her own, calming her down. "It' okay."

~

("Work Song" by Hozier)

The next day after Hunter taught her third grade music class, she stayed late, listening to music, mainly Hozier, through the screens that the Council provided all the classrooms with. She didn't want to go, didn't want to face her sick mother-no, her dying mother. She sucked in a breath at that thought and rubbed her forehead. Maybe it would be better if she just passed. She was in so much pain, she couldn't do anything on her own, and Hunter knew her mother hated relying on people. Hunter scoffed to herself, her father would never allow her to give up. He needed her more than Hunter did.