Lashing

("Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper)

"Daddy!" Hunter squealed as he walked through the front door. She ran toward him on her short legs and hugged his waist. He picked her up with a huge grin on his face, spinning her around a few times. She was giggling like mad and tugging at his shirt. "Daddy! Where's my present?" She hopped up and down in excitement.

"Present? Why would I get you a present?" He teased.

"It's my birthday!" She huffed and crossed her arms.

"That's right! You're five today, right?"

"Daddy, I am six now!" She widened her eyes at her father and giggled when he smacked his forehead.

"I knew that. Close your eyes," He held the Irish Claddagh Ring behind his back. If his wife knew how much this costed him, he wouldn't hear the end of it. He placed the ring on his baby's finger and kissed her small cheek. "Open."

Hunter gave a small gasp at the ring on her finger. She's never had her own jewelry before. "Thank you, Daddy." She whispered and hugged his neck.

"It's to show your Irish heritage."

"I'm Irish?" Hunter asked with a tilt of her head.

"Well, I'm Irish which means you're Irish too. That's why you have brown hair and blue eyes, just like me." He smiled and twirled a strand of her hair.

"What about Mommy?" Hunter asked, pointing at her mother who was sitting at the kitchen table. She was smiling softly at her family. She had a headache though, you could tell because the area around her eyes had gone pale.

"Mommy is Italian." She spoke, approaching her baby to look at the gift.

"So I'm Italian too!" Hunter squealed, clapping her hands happily.

Hunter gasped and sat up, clutching at her chest. She didn't want to remember when she was happiest. She didn't want to remember. She whimpered and clutched the ring that now only fit on her pinky.

Her cell door shrieked open and startled her. She looked up and was met with two guards.

"Let's go." The one that hated her with a passion said. She found out his name was Rick.

"Where to, Rick?" She croaked out.

"Now." He growled at her, grabbing her arm tightly.

"Ow, watch it." She complained, shaking him off roughly.

They walked her down the corridor. Her heart beating steadily in her chest with each step they took. The hammering of the men's boots on the metal floor ricocheting off the walls.

"Where are we going, Rick?" Hunter bit out, her teeth clenching so hard that her jaw hurt.

He pushed her forward harshly before grunting, "None of your business."

"Ah, Hunter!" She heard Jaha just ahead of her. Hunter's heart sped up at the sound of his voice. She was sweating, fear flooding her veins.

"M-my trial?" She stuttered out, her walking faltered. Rick pushed her again, her head snapped back with the force. His mean chuckle reached her ears. She clenched her fists to keep from lashing out, she didn't need another episode.

She felt like something was crawling up her throat, blocking her airways. She was choking, trying not to gasp out loud, trying not to show weakness. But those thoughts stopped, when her vision blurred and she was bent at the knees, gasping, wheezing for air. Hunter was shaking her hands out, trying to get the feeling to return to them.