Six

CALLIOPE POV

I ran from the bathroom to the entryway, slipping a red lip stain into my bag before racing back to my room while deciding which sweater to wear.

The week flew by faster than I realized.

Val was on his way to pick me up for dinner at his parents house.  We exchanged numbers on Thursday as he sat with me during my mom's appointment but didn't talk much through the week. I could have easily driven us once I got home, but he was so kind to offer that it felt like the right choice.

He was extremely busy with a new high maintenance client while I was digging into my Dissertation with a newfound energy. Once it is submitted I will send it Val's way so he can work with me on my defense.

Mamochka thought he was more handsome than Nik and insisted he stay for dinner when we got back from her appointment.  Her neurologist is concerned about the frequent migraines she continues to deal with and wanted more testing done that was now scheduled plus they changed her medications.  It was a start, but I was frustrated that more was not happening to ensure her comfort before surgery.

Val chatted easily and loved the teriyaki salmon and rice we whipped up, even helping as my sous chef while my mom laid down after we got back.  We talked about work and school, easily passing the time without anything serious.

He could tell how stressed I was and offered to take us to any further appointments if needed.  It was a kind and generous gesture that I accepted after my mom thanked him and said that would be wonderful.

Driving has always made me anxious. I know part of the reason is the car accident that took my Dad's life and gave Mama lifelong health struggles. I have an easier time during the day when it's nice out and will never drive at night, especially in the winter time, unless it is an emergency. The way Val was so gentle but insistent helped me accept his offer more easily. 

Now I was running late as he was minutes away. I had two bottles of really good red wine that I knew the Ivanov's liked and grabbed two dozen cannoli's at a local bakery while getting groceries earlier in the day.

"Callie?" Val called down the hallway, surprising me while I jumped into comfy jeans and ran a brush through my light brown waves.  "I'm here but take your time..."

SHIT... I rolled my eyes at my poor time management, tugging a deep blue cardigan out of my closet to wear on top of a lacy camisole, sticking casual at Val's request.

"Sorry!  I lost track of time at the library earlier working on my paper then groceries took longer than I thought they would," I admitted, grabbing my brown boots from the coat closet along with my jacket.

He stood, offering a bright smile and looking handsome in a red sweater and jeans.  "We have plenty of time.  The lasagna is already in the oven at my parents and has an hour left to go."

I grabbed the bakery box and held it up, "I know Dmitri is handling the tiramisu, but more dessert is never a bad idea."

Val chuckled and took the box from my hand, peeking inside.  "Oooohhh, Cannoli is one of Mike's favorites. You're getting points with all of us, Callie."

We said goodbye to my Mama and he promised to bring me home safely before heading to the car, dessert and wine in tow.

"Thanks again for driving me.  I know it's an inconvenience..." I started, but Val cut me off.

"Callie, can we make a deal?"

I paused, studying him a moment before smiling.  "Deal.  I'll just accept what you offer openly and try to not let it haunt me."