Twelve

CALLIOPE POV

My mom was discharged from the hospital the next day.  Thankfully it was a Friday so I had a lighter day with classes and was wrapping everything up before the weekend.  Anya spent hours with my mom, teaching her how to crochet and keeping her company with her warm perspective.  She gave Mamochka a ride home at around 2 while Val picked me up from school at 4 then we ran out to get my Mama's new medications as well as a few groceries.

Anya and Val stayed for dinner with Professor joining us before too long since he had a late faculty meeting.  We picked up pizza and dug into a new documentary on Netflix while enjoying our meal.  Val helped me make sure we were stocked on essentials as well as one of his favorite IPA's after I insisted I wanted something on hand for the days he stopped by.

He deserves that at the very least.  I also had iced animal crackers to refill my stash at the office while Val grabbed a bag to take to his place since he was now addicted.  We joked about how our palettes fluctuate wildly between processed snacks in a bag and gourmet homemade treats.

Mom was tired but doing well. Her specialist team visited in the hospital and Anya took detailed notes so she could pass them onto me.

She was a godsend.  I wanted to be with my Mama every moment but had work to do both at college and to get everything packed for our big moves.  There was a lot to juggle so I needed the help I received from the Ivanov family.

Val and I sat on the deck Friday night after his parents left and my mom went to bed, sipping a beer and enjoying the cool night air.

"You have good taste, Val," I said with a grin, raising my bottle to clink with his.

He chuckled and shot me a crooked  smile, "Well, thanks for making sure we had this at your place.  I'm happy to relax with you after such a stressful couple days."

We were quiet for a few moments before Val spoke again.  "So, will you come to family dinner tomorrow night?" he asked softly.

I shook my head and let out a long sigh, "I'd love to but I should stay home to make sure Mom is okay." My eyes locked on his and I offered a shy smile. "You're welcome here anytime, though. It's pretty clear she loves your company."

"Well, as long as Vera wants me here, I'll show up." Val's voice had a teasing lilt and I chuckled, slapping him lightly from my seat.

"Such a brat. Of course I like having you around also. This week was a lot to manage but thanks to you and your sweet Mama I didn't go insane."

He laughed harder now, "Glad I have some use in your life, Callie.  As we know, Nothing does harm if one's mind is at peace."

A gasp escaped as I sat up in my chair, grinning at the handsome man next to me.  "Guess Tolstoy is a favorite for everyone in your family?"

"When you quoted him that first family dinner you attended, I almost lost it.  All of us recognized the quote.  That was hilarious, Callie."

We joked around a bit longer before he headed out, offering to stop by for lunch the next day.

Of course I accepted.

Val brought a large piece of fresh salmon so we could do salmon and rice bowls for lunch. Mom was thrilled and sat at the counter while we prepared the meal, chatting about random topics and enjoying one another's company.  Anya arrived with some homemade pastries and joined us, loving the meal and saying a number of times how much she enjoyed something so simple but delicious.

"So, Callie, you're staying home tonight?" she asked before leaving at around 2.

I nodded, "Yep, we are gonna lay low. Mamochka needs time to relax and I'd rather not leave her alone quiet yet.  Thank you for being available while she was in the hospital, Anya.  I felt better being at work when I knew she had you there taking notes and keeping her company."

"We will miss you but completely understand," she responded, giving me a warm hug.  "Good luck with all your packing, Dochka.  Make sure you get some rest, too."

Val left soon after, promising to text me if anything fun happens.

I curled up in the corner of the couch with a soda while Mom debated which documentary to watch next.

You can go, Callie...

Her sign was already written before I took my place in the living room.

I groaned, leaning back and letting out a long sigh. "I know. It's my choice to stay, though." My eyes met hers and I smiled, "Next week I'll go if all stays stable, okay?"

She smiled softly and nodded, then selected the show she wanted and clicked play.

My heart felt at peace. She's okay. She has to be okay.

I spent the next hour getting boxes organized in my room and filling them with my library.  Mama and I already had most of her things organized and were planning for me to take most of the kitchen supplies.  She would have space for a fridge and microwave so we already set aside the items she wanted for her new assisted living apartment.

My days have been so full of survival.  Now I can push ahead toward the new life I am establishing for myself.  The apartment is a really nice building less than a half mile from campus.  Mama's new place is just a few blocks the other direction.  I will be able to continue working and seeing her basically every day once her surgery is over.

I cannot let myself dwell on the possible outcomes of another brain surgery.  The reality is absolutely crystal clear to me.  That is why I was so intentional about taking time with Mama every chance I got.

Each day I look at the tattoo on my wrist and remember I need to exist so she can have the chance to live. 

It truly could be the last time I see her... living with that perspective since I was 13 years old is not ideal.  Maybe part of the reason I have not had a relationship that lasted was I had yet to find someone who fought to understand how precarious every day of my life really is.

Val gets it.  He openly accepted how my world works and found ways to be there without taking me away from where I needed to be.  We have built memories with one another while also giving my Mama what she needs.

Once my books were packed and boxes labeled I dove into the closet to begin storing winter clothes in heavy duty moving bags.  I have a lot of sweaters and warm outfits thanks to walking in the wintertime and how cold our lecture halls are kept.  Mama joined me and smiled when she picked up the pale blue sweater I wore to my interview with Professor Ivanov back in December.

I grinned, "I kind of didn't want to wear it after that interview.  Felt like the magic of this sweater was used up in getting my teaching assistant job."

She smiled and shook her head at me then looked at the way I had so much packed already.  Mama picked up a markerboard I keep on my dresser and wrote something while I grabbed more shirts to tuck into one of the bags.

Are you scared?

"Of course.  This is the right decision, but that doesn't mean it's easy," I said softly, meeting her blue eyes while letting out a long sigh.  "I think once everything is moved I will feel better.  It just takes time to get to that point."

Mama nodded and shook her head, picking up one of my old t shirts and folding it then putting the piece into an open bag.  "Mama?  I just want to be prepared.  I want both of us to be prepared.  Everything will happen fast but before we know it you'll be settled into your new apartment and I'll be in mine."

She smiled and waved before heading out of my room when I noticed she had written something else on the markerboard for me.

I hope once you are settled at your new place you allow room in your life for love.  You deserve so much love, happiness, and joy, Calliope.

I grabbed my phone and took a photo of what she wrote, filing it into a folder I keep saved of sweet comments like this that my Mama sets aside so I can consider her words more carefully.

Guess we will see how it goes...