Eighteen

PROFESSOR IVANOV POV

"Anya, my love?  Should we have one of the boys get more shrimp on their way here?"

She chuckled and shook her head, "I think we have plenty, Dmitri.  We also have those fresh sourdough baguettes Callie made along with all the veggies to grill and Amber is bringing a pasta salad.  Dmitri mentioned he and Keira will grab some kind of dessert so we will have more than enough food as always."

I smiled at the woman I love, "You are so prepared.  Thank you, my love.  How was Vera when you were at the hospital earlier?"

"She is in good spirits.  The surgery was successful but she is struggling with some of her motor skills.  Writing on her markerboard is more difficult but Callie knows what her Mama needs which makes things easier."  Anya let out a long sigh and shook her head, "Our sweet Dochka has been so strong the last week since Vera's surgery.  Val is at her side every day and it is obvious how close they have become, as well."

I chuckled as she spoke and shook my head, "Our Son has been in love with Callie for a long time.  It was good to see them finally connect, even though the timing was chaotic at best."

"I don't blame Callie for being careful.  Poor girl has always dealt with things alone but she knew she could trust Valentin."  Anya paused, then smirked as she added, "They're basically living together now."

"They are?" I asked, eyes wide at the new information.

She nodded and looked proud of herself while adding, "He has been taking bags of clothes and boxes of books basically every day.  She ordered an extra bookcase for the second bedroom so Val can display his collectors item comic books, too.  Miles is even moving into the same apartment building.  It's way less expensive than where either of them currently live so he will save a few hundred a month and be in a great area.  Valentin mentioned he was excited to have his oldest friend so close.  They'll even start going to the same gym."

The door opened and we heard the sound of Nik and Kelly fighting.  Anya let out a long sigh while I shook my head, pouring myself another vodka with a splash of cranberry juice.

A small splash.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"It's not my vacation to invite you on, Kelly.  My parents have control here," Nik almost yelled, meeting my eyes with an urgent expression that told me he wanted backup.

Kelly turned and wiped away tears then whimpered, "Please, Professor, please let me come along to the beach with your family!"

I paused, looking between them as Anya stood at my side.  "Well, Kelly, the home we rent each year has 5 bedrooms.  Each of our sons has their own room and can decide whether or not they want to share that space with someone else.  We are still finishing up the plans and determining when we will be traveling, so at the moment it is premature to be begging for a place."

"Callie will be there, won't she?" Kelly accused with her arms cross and lip pouted.

Nik groaned and tilted his head back then pinched the bridge of his nose.  "Kel.  That's up to Val.  Those two are together so if he decides to invite her then that's his choice.  Same with Amber and Keira.  This isn't our family against you or something."