18) Something New

The past haunts me like a storm.
I'll drown in its waters
And live in its thunder.
(I wrote this one bc I couldn't find one that I thought would fit)

✿✧ Chapter Eighteen ✧✿

I couldn't stand being alone after my sister disappeared. It was like losing the moon. I had no one to lean on without her.

Then there was Jacob. He didn't leave. He was always there when I needed him. I felt like he understood more than Edward ever did.

It took me a while to reconnect with my old friends. They didn't understand at all. They didn't care how I felt. They only cared about the most recent gossip and mocking others.

I was still the target of a of Mike's attention more often than not. He invited me to the movies the same day I rejoined their lunch table. I redirected it as much as I could. I suggested Face Punch instead of the romantic comedy he wanted to see. I also invited the other's and Jacob. Nari already had plans.

I was disappointed when the others cancelled. I didn't want to be stuck at the movie with Mike alone. Luckily, Jacob said he would go.

I bought the tickets since Jacob wasn't eighteen yet. We decided not to get snacks and just headed into the theater.

Halfway through the movie I realized that they both had their hands on the armrests, inviting me to hold them. I stared at them in consideration. Would Mike finally get the clue if I held Jacob's hand and not his?

"Okay, I think I'm gonna throw up," Mike suddenly said.

Before I could reach out, Mike sprung up from his seat. He covered his mouth with a fist and hurried out of the row. Me and Jacob followed him out. We saw him turn into the bathroom as we left.

"What a Marshmello!" Jacob mocked. "You should hold out for someone with a stronger stomach. Someone who laughs at the gore that makes weaker men vomit."

We both snickered as we walked down the hallway.

"Yeah. I'll keep my eye open for that." We came up on a set of stairs and I stopped at them. "He probably has that flu that's going around."

I felt Jacob's hand grasp mine. I looked down, turning towards him. I didn't know if I should let go or not. Last time I felt this way I just got hurt.

"What? I can't hold your hand?"

"No, it's fine. It just surprised me."

"Well you like me, don't you? And you think I'm sort of beautiful?" He quoted what I'd said earlier that year.

"Jake... I can't..."

I sighed and sat down on the stairs. Jacob stepped closer, leaning on the stair rail.

"Why?"

"Because, It just hurt last time. I don't think I'm ready to do that again. Not yet."

"Well, I've got loads of time. I'm not gonna give up."