Thats Just How It Is

I had a rough day with my 6-year-old Ellie. All she did was get in trouble and go against me. She only ever listened to Matt, which has caused problems between me and him. She never acted up when he was around, making me feel like an idiot. I loved her but I never wanted to be against my own husband, raising our own child. However, her rowdiness didn't end when Matt came home. She started to get into trouble right away, and Matt saw firsthand what it was really like. Everything was simply okay, until I entered the kitchen to hear my husband and 6-year-old talking. "Mommy said we could get ice cream today daddy" "Really! Thats awesome" I turn to them as I move my eyebrows "Ellie, I did not say you could get ice cream today, I said you could on Saturday with granny" she looks at me knowing she's busted as she starts to cry hugging Matt's shoulder. Matt pulls her off looking at her kind of hurt "Did you lie to me Ellie?" That sentence broke my heart, but it broke my heart knowing Ellie would do that. "Ellie, baby you can't do that" I say as I sit next to Matt at the table "It's a big no" I say as she starts to pout to which Matt instantly turns his dad mode on "You need to dry it up Ells. Go to your room." Matts voice could make me cry at times, especially when he was upset or mad. Ellie runs upstairs crying as Matt puts his head in his hands "Are you okay babe" he lifts his head as he looks at me "No, I'm not. Ellie just lied to me. I never thought she would do something like that" I rub his back as he starts to mess with his chain, almost in tears himself "You know she will need some punishment" I say as he grabs my hand kissing it "Why does it have to be like this sweetheart? Why is parenting so hard" "I don't know Matt, that's just how it is" I say as he goes upstairs towards Ellie's room. He comes downstairs towards the table with Ellies hand in his as he sits down next to me again, placing Ellie in front of us "You know what you did was bad" "I know" she says as she looks down making Matt lift her head up "Listen, don't ever do that again" he says as he looks at me "Ellie, I hate to do it but you'll have to be punished, so no tv for the rest of the day and no ice cream this Saturday" I say as Matt agrees with me. Ellie runs upstairs yet again, as Matt goes to get her, I grab his hand pulling him down to sit again "Let her cool off, you need to cool off, just relax" he does just that as he leans his forehead on mine. Safe to say, Ellie never lied again.