(Bucky) Protect

I threw my jacket and holsters on the floor as I stormed back into the meeting room for debrief.

Bucky huffed as he and the rest of the team followed behind me.

"Are we going to talk about what the fuck just happened out there?" Tony asked the room as everyone took their seats

"Maybe ask Mr 'I'm going to steal the thunder' over there" I snapped as I took a seat in the corner and held my sore arm.

"Me?" Thor innocently asked

"I think she means Bucky" Steve smirked at him

"How exactly did I steal anything y/n?" Bucky asked

"That was my moment to end the mission. I had the shot all lined up perfect to hit the target, and you just HAD to fire two shots and scare him off" I reminded him

"I didn't even see you hit anyone Barnes" Sam said

"He just can't stand someone else clearing a Hydra base and taking out the target." I continued to snap, "it was the same last week on the cargo ship. I was mid fight with the importer and Bucky just slides over and knifes the guy!"

Everyone looked at Bucky, waiting for an answer.

"I mean, she's kind of right Buck" Nat agreed, "it's not even a macho guy thing because you never steal my kills"

"That's because the guys are usually on the floor by the time we get to you Nat" Steve chuckled

"Yeah but I don't even get the chance!" I shouted, "I'm telling you now Tony. You put me on another mission with him and I'm staying put!"

I stormed out, even more frustrated by his lack of response or eye contact from Bucky.

I heard them talk as I left but in my blind fury I just strode to the balcony for some fresh air.

I heard the glass door slide open behind me. "Not now Steve, I'll take the pep talk about how to go easy on him tomorrow ok?"

"It's me" Bucky softly spoke.

I turned around instantly and frowned at him. "What do you want Bucky?" I asked, "do you want me to say sorry for calling you out on your shit in there? Because if you are then your out of luck". I turned back to look at the view.

"I want...." he took a step towards me. "I just want you to be safe"

"I don't NEED you to keep me safe ok?" I hissed, "I'm a damn good Avenger. And although I'm not some super solider or mutant, I can still take very good care of myself."

I went to walk past him but he gripped my arm gently. "I didn't say that you NEED me to be safe." He spoke forwards, as thought I was still stood on the ledge. "I just WANT you safe." He dropped our hands, "if I was there and something happened to you because I didn't step in. Then.... I'd never forgive myself"

"Drop the super hero act here Buck. You know I can handle those guys" I huffed "I don't need you to keep me safe. I meant what I said. I'm not going on another mission with you"

I heard him take a breath before the glass door slid again and he left. I let the cold air hit me for longer while I calmed down before going to bed.

The next day Tony briefed us for a mission, and as per my request Bucky was nowhere to be seen. We gathered our gear and headed out.

We were always paired up when the group split so it felt weird being with a random SHIELD agent. We had developed codes incase our comms was ever intercepted and trained together for battle situations. It felt slightly unknown but I knew I had a point to prove here. If I came back safe he'd know I could protect myself like I say I can.

"Room secure" He told me over comms. I rolled my eyes. Idiot. Bucky and I would say 'ghost'. As in, there is nothing but ghosts in here.

After clearing a few more rooms we came across a group of 4 hydra agents, all ready to fight us with all they have. I felt unsteady. What the hell, I thought. I've never felt like this on a mission ever.

My partner ran straight at them before the word "NO!" even left my lips. They shot him down instantly. Leaving me to fight my way out.

I took down all 4 agents, but not without damage. Nothing major, but enough for Bucky to spew a full 'I told you so' when I got back.

With the base and Intel secure we headed back. I spent most of my time cleaning my wounds and hiding any cuts or bruises.

As we walked into debrief I saw Bucky sit up and look directly at me, and scan over my body. I was so angry that u stormed out once again. I couldn't face his smugness.

"Y/n, wait" He shouted as he chased me down the corridor.

"Save it" I held back my hurt and embarrassment as I flung my door open. He followed me in regardless.

"Where are you hurt?" He asked flatly

"I'm not" I lied

"Tell me" He forced

"Why? So you can tell me I told you so? And how I ain't shit without you there?" I angrily walked up to him and pushed him. Quickly realising the jacket I had on was slipping.

Bucky's eyes instantly went to them as he ripped my jacket from me. "Oh my god"

"Just get out!" I yelled as I carried on pushing him away.

He grabbed my hands and looked at me with an unreadable look. "How bad?"

"Me? I'm fine." I huffed, "a few cuts and stuff. By my partner he...." I paused as I looked at Bucky, suddenly dawning on me that it could have been him. But no. He wouldn't have done that, run in like he did. We trained for shit like that.

"Fuck" He threw my hands down and paced, rubbing his neck

"So what, you're angry at me now too?" I yelled

He stopped and laughed an angry laugh. "That could have been you!" He shouted back, making me step back a little. "You don't get it y/n. We train every day for these things, and I do things sometimes because I've got your back. Whether you know it or not. The sniper shot you had, there was a guard in the tower that you didn't see. Those 2 shots weren't to scare him off. They were to stop you being killed! I don't just do this shit because I love you, I do it because you're my teammate and we have to look out for each other". He ranted, not realising what he let slip.

"You.... you love me?" I stuttered, my emotions doing a whole 180 from that one sentence.

"Of course I fucking love you y/n." He said bravely and openly, figuring it was out now anyway, "look..." he grabbed my hands again, but much gentler this time, "... I know you can take care of yourself. Trust me, I've seen you fight. But God, I want to protect you"

"Buck. You need to separate me during a mission to me here." I finally lowered my voice to a lulled tone, "out there, I'm an Avenger, and I do it damn well. I need a teammate, not a babysitter. But here, sure you're the guy who takes the spiders out of my shower. And the guy who brings me soup when I'm sick. And you're about the be the guy I fall asleep next to each night." I smiled at him.

"You're serious?" He blinked

I nodded as he smiled back at me. "But, if you ever steal my kill in the field again then I'll dump your ass so quick we won't even make it back to the compound before I give you the silent treatment."