Chapter 1

* flashback *

- age 6 -

*RACHELS POV*

"Let's carve each other's name in the tree." Cameron says.

"Wait, why?" I say.

"So we will forever and always have this. This is our tree!" Cameron says.

"Ok. Let's do it!!" I say.

I grab the pencil and carve Cameron's initials 'CD' for Cameron Dallas. Then, Cameron carves my initials 'RG' for Rachel Green.

We look up and smile at each other.

"Cameron, promise me when we get older, we will always have each other's sides through everything." I say, holding out my pinky.

He interlocks his pinky with mine. "I promise. Best friends till the end."

"Best friends forever." I say.

~

Let me tell you a little about myself. My name is Rachel Green and I will be a senior. I have long, wavy, and brown hair. I have green eyes. And you could say I'm skinny. I play softball for my school team and with my best friend, Jill. We made varsity and I play first base and she plays shortstop. I have tons of friends it's just I consider them as just friends I don't hang out with. I'm pretty popular, you could say. I'm that nice, popular girl that gets good grades. I have a boyfriend who's the captain of the football team. His name is Jack. Jack Gilinsky.

But when I get home, all the tables turn. My father is abusive to me and my mother drinks till she passes out. I'm the only child. So, I cut myself for a living. I've only tried to end my life once. But my old friend/neighbor, Cameron, stopped me from doing anything. You are probably like, why is he your old friend? Well, you're about to find out.

_ PRESENT DAY _

Dad's not home and mom is passed out on the sofa. I wish I had normal parents. Where they can come and support me through my games. I guess not because this is a mad world. I get up and start getting ready for the morning. Another day at school with the fake, almost perfect smile.

I do my daily routine of getting ready. I look in my drawer to get my comb out but come across my blade. It had dried blood along and across from it. I haven't cut in awhile. Mainly because my dad hasn't been home to beat me. The scars along my arms are little and there aren't that many. You would think, why did my life ever have to come down to this? Cutting. I always dreamt of one of that perfect life. I guess we weren't all suppose to have a happy ending.

I hop in my car along with my school bag and my softball bag. Softball is the only thing that takes the reality away. Without it, I'm nothing. I get beaten because my dad doesn't think I'm good enough. We don't have softball during our school periods. I wish though.

When I was done fantasizing, I finally made it to the school. I get out of the car and carry my softball bag in my gym locker. I make my way towards the halls and see Jill.

"Hey." I say, going up to her.

"Hey." She says.

"Umm, excuse me." Hayes says.

"Hello, Hayes." I say, smiling.

"Hi." He says, smiling wide.

Jill and Hayes are dating. He made varsity baseball and actually plays shortstop! I don't really hang out with Hayes that much because he hangs out with the one person I don't like.

Cameron. And Cameron made varsity baseball also, playing first base. Like me.

- flashback -

"Rachel?" He asks.