Three

3 long years

3 shucking years and they were still stuck in that buggin maze.

Many new greenies came up in that box and they have been told the same thing over and over again. Most of the gladers have been here for about 3 years, which gives them higher superiority but not so much on the hope factor. Everyday that goes by the small string of hope that they all cling onto loosens.

Cara wiped the blood off her bench top and washed up, heading to the kitchens with two makeshift baskets of chopped up cow and pig.

Cara placed them down on the counter in front of Frypan as he finished up making lunch for the gladers.

"What's for lunch today," Cara asked.

"Just some stew," answered frypan. "It's almost ready anyways."

"Ok, I'll be back," Cara walked over to her hammock in homestead and changed her blood stained slicer shoes for her muddy brown ones. She also tied her hair up with an elastic that she got form the box a couple of months ago.

At lunch Cara sat down waiting for Newt.

"Hey Newt, wasn't a greenie supposed to come today?"

"Yeah, I guess their just late." Newt replied, setting down his bowl of stew across from Cara. "Alby was planning to make a bonfire. Wanna help?"

"Sure."

After lunch Cara and Gally were in the woods getting some firewood when an awful siren started blaring. They both looked at each other and dropped the firewood before running over to the box situated in the middle of the Glade. Most of the Gladers were already there waiting for the doors to open. Cara made her way through the crowd to the front standing with Newt, as two boys opened the gate to reveal a scared greenie in the box. Gally jumped down into the box pulling the greenie out.

"Day one, Greenie. Rise and shine," He said, pulling the boy out onto the grass.

The boy fell down with a thump onto the hard ground staring terrified at all the other gladers as they laughed at him. He was wearing a blue long sleeve shirt with dark blue jeans.

"He looks like a slopper to me,"

"I could use some help in the kitchens." Commented the glader boys.

Before anyone could say anything else the boy pushed his way out of the crowd and sprinted across the glade

"Hey, we got a runner," Shouted Zart.

The greenie ran fast, but didn't get very far before face planting into the dirt. All the other gladers stared laughing at him and making harsh comments. Cara couldn't help but giggle a little too.

Cara was back in the woods collecting firewood. Alby agreed to lock the greenie in the pit. She walked back to the spot where she had dropped all of it, carrying her and Gally's pile to a circle of rocks where some boys were adding hay into it.

"Thanks Cara, this should be enough," Thanked one of the boys who were making the bonfire.

"Yeah, No worries," Cara placed down all the wood and went to go find Newt.

Cara found Newt talking to Chuck by his hammock in homestead.

"Hey guys."

"Hi Cara," Chuck said, waving his hand.

"Taking care of the greenie Newt," Cara playfully punched Newt in the arm.

"Yeah, you done with the bonfire?"

"Almost." Cara replied as Chuck went to Alby and the greenie holding a bunch of stuff which was probably the greenies from the box.

The two were talking when they heard commotion coming from the North door of the maze. Newt and Cara ran up to the crowd that had now formed to see the greenie and Gally fighting.