Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Alex slept better that night. It probably helped that him and Miles had made love. Neither were in the right head-space for fucking, but instead Miles had given Alex one of his relaxing massages, followed by them lying facing each other, kissing and bringing each other off. For a while Alex could forget his burdens and enjoy the deeper level of intimacy he now shared with Miles, after Miles had found the courage to declare his feelings. Then the peace that orgasm, followed by Miles;' arms wrapped tightly around him, was enough to help him sleep for most of the night.

He awoke with the sunrise. Miles was still fast asleep behind him and he had to prise himself away from his grip so he could go and use the chamber-pot. He got back into bed and faced Miles, snuggling against him. They wrapped their arms around each other, their bodies moulding together, and it felt warm and comforting. But Alex couldn't go back to sleep, the weight of responsibility weighed heavily upon him, and his greatest concern was Eliza. She was the sweetest, kindest girl and he was going to jilt her. He felt so terribly guilty just thinking about it. There was no question of him changing his mind and marrying her and remaining in Cornwall. His life was in Jamaica with Miles, but he hated the thought of letting Eliza down and making her look a fool. She didn't deserve it.

It was raining by the time they left for High Green, so the fires would now be completely dead. Alex felt nervous about seeing the house again. On Saturday he had been high on adrenaline and shock and couldn't process anything but keeping safe and making sure people were okay. But today it was different. It finally started to sink in that his family home was destroyed. He didn't have many happy memories of High Green, except being with his mother and sisters, but it was something and the thought of it being gone forever disturbed him.

Miles drove the gig, and it felt strange for Alex not to feel that sense of rebellion in stealing Percy's carriage. It didn't belong to anyone now.

The air still smelt of smoke, but as they got closer, the clouds parted and the sun come out, and the sky was no longer concealed by that ash cloud. They turned into the drive up to the house, and High Green came into view, straight away it was clear it was a house of two halves. The West Wing was a shell, just charred bricks and hollow windows. The wind was blowing through, making an eery sound. The East Wing looked pretty much as it always had as though nothing had happened. But it was still shocking, and effected Alex in a way he hadn't anticipated. Tears came to his eyes as he felt overwhelming sadness.

Suddenly there was a hand reaching for his. He looked to Miles, who smiled and carried on looking ahead. It never ceased to amaze Alex how he always knew when he needed him.

As they dismounted the gig, John Squire came from the side of the house with Caleb Followill, his deputy. Their clothes and boots were covered in soot and filth. Both men removed their hats on seeing Alex.

"Good day Mister Alex, Captain Kane. I hope you don't mind us being here, Mister Alex, but there are several men missing. We believe they may be guilty of helping Jonah Tully start the fire. We were just checking to see if they weren't hiding out in the undamaged part of the house."

"It's a miracle half of it is still standing," Alex said.

"Speed of the men getting' 'ere with the water I suppose," Squire said. "Miracle more weren't lost."

"Sorry to hear about your family, Mister Alex," Followill said in his timid voice.

"Thank you, gentlemen," Alex said. "I suppose we're going to have to demolish the house, or at least the part that's so badly damaged."

"I know a very good surveyor in Truro, sir," said Squire. "Hawley. I can ask 'im to come out and assess it for you."

"That would be stupendous, thank you. At the moment, I'm not quite sure what's happening."