Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Thirty One

A month had passed, and Alex still hadn't told Eliza that she wasn't going to be Mrs Turner, and Miles was beginning to wonder if he ever would. Alex didn't like hurting people, but he was going to have to grow a backbone.

But Miles could understand his reticence. Eliza had been a tower of strength since the fire, and today she was kind enough to be holding the reception for Arabella and Harold's wedding, at Jayson House. Sometimes Miles felt a little insecure around Eliza, she was the female version of Alex – kind and considerate and not at all bothered about money or status. Everyone was allowed at the reception, even Kitten and Tom.

Miles stood watching the festivities and couldn't help but feel a little left out. Alex was in his natural environment, hosting people in a huge, beautiful house, and many people wanted to speak to him and Eliza together.

"How are you, Captain Kane?"

He was awoken from his reverie by Evie, standing beside him looking very plump and blooming in her heavily pregnant state.

"Feel a bit like a fish out of water," he said. "Dunno why. I can normally fit in anywhere."

She looped her hand through his arm.

"Come...let us take the air. I spend my life permanently hot."

They went out onto the huge veranda and sat on a bench together. Miles lit his pipe while Eliza stretched her feet out, moving her ankles in circles.

"That's better," she said. "Be grateful you'll never have a baby, Captain Kane."

He looked at her and smiled.

"Miles...."

"Miles." She furrowed her brow. Her beautiful sapphire blue eyes were a stunning as Alex and Arabella's doe eyes. She looked so much like Percy, and yet she was so pretty.

"You look sad. Aren't you excited? You'll be leaving for Jamaica soon. Alex is quite giddy about it."

"I still worry he'll change his mind at the last minute. He hasn't even told Eliza he can't marry her, yet."

Evie said nothing. Just looked own at her fat belly and ran her hand over it.

"What is it?" Miles asked. "What has he said to you? He still wants to marry her? He doesn't love me anymore...."

Miles couldn't believe these words were coming from his mouth. He sounded so desperate and he hated himself for it.

"Alex loves you very much," she said. "It's not the life I would have chosen for him, but he's my big brother and I want him to be happy."

"You don't think I'm good enough for him?"

"Nothing of the sort." She laid her hand upon Miles and squeezed his fingers "You have been the most wonderful thing to happen to Alex. He comes to life around you. He's spent his life trying to make other people happy, but to see him with someone who makes him smile and laugh and find joy things, makes me know you're the best person for him. But what saddens me is that you both have to live your lives in hiding, never revealing to the world the true nature of your relationship. It doesn't seem right somehow. I know it's a frightfully shocking thing to say, but I think people should be allowed to love whoever they want. And you love him?"

Miles nodded, feeling those tears come to his eyes that came so readily these days.

"I never wanted to fall in love. Ever. I saw what fools it made of people. It was easier when I thought I hated him. But sometimes I feel like I'm going mad. Sometimes all I can hear is his voice or see his face every time I shut my eyes. It's like I'm possessed."