Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, Chapter 8

TATOOINE - DESERT MOUNTAIN CLIFF

(Y/n and Anakin pull up near the edge of a cliff. They get off their bikes and creep to the edge. They look over to see a Tusken camp in the oasis below. One of the huts at the edge of the camp has two tusken guards outside it. Y/n drops off the edge of the cliff to the camp below with Anakin following after him)

TATOOINE - TUSKEN RAIDER CAMP

(Y/n and Anakin creep through the camp, working their way from hut to hut, flattening themselves against the walls overhearing snatches of Tusken conversation from inside, using the shadows to hide them until they arrive at the hut with the two guards.

They are sitting a short distance from the door. Y/n and Anakin wriggle around the back. Y/n takes out her lightsaber and cuts into the base of the wall. The lightsaber completes the hole in the wall. Anakin wriggles in first then Y/n. She pulls Y/n to his feet. There are candles everywhere.

A shaft of moonlight from a hole in the roof pierces the gloom of the hut. By its light, Y/n and Anakin see Shmi hanging from a wooden frame in the middle of the hut. Y/n cuts her free and Anakin takes Shmi into her arms, and lowers her gently to the ground. Her eyes are closed. Her face is bloodied. She has been terribly beaten. Anakin cradles her tenderly)

Anakin: Mom... Mom... Mom...

(Shmi's eyelids flutter and barely open. They are caked with blood)

Shmi: Annie...? Y/n...? Is it you...?

(Shmi's eyes focus slowly. Anakin gives a little choking gasp)

Anakin: We're here, Mom. You're safe.

Y/n: Hang on. We're going to get you out of here...

Shmi: Annie? Y/n? Annie... you look so beautiful. My daughter... my grown-up daughter. I'm so proud of you... so proud... I missed you so much... Now... I am complete.

Anakin: Just stay with us, Mom. I'm going to make you well again.

Y/n: Everything's... going to be fine.

Shmi: I love...

(With those last struggling words, Shmi dies. Anakin draws her to her breast. There is silence for a moment. Y/n lifts his head, listening for a moment before lowering his head, Anakin sits on the floor of the Tusken hut, cradling her dead mother in her arms. The pale light grows. Thin tendrils of smoke rise slowly in the cold, clear air. Y/n balls his hands into fists and looks up with a glare, his eyes orange)

 Y/n balls his hands into fists and looks up with a glare, his eyes orange)

(Somewhere a dog barks. An old woman comes out of one of the huts. She carries a pail. She swirls it and tosses the dirty water onto the ground. As she goes back inside the hut, a tusken child runs past, dragging a stick in the sand. The child runs through the line of huts, turns a corner, and stops suddenly, staring at the two tusken guards.