Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, Chapter 9

CORUSCANT - MAIN SENATE CHAMBER

(Mace Windu walks down an upper corridor and meets Yoda, whois sitting on a ledge overlooking the Senate chamber. Inside the great rotunda, the uproar is even louder. Opposing senators yell furiously at one another)

Mas Amedda: Order! Order!!

(Finally, the uproar dies)

Palpatine: In the regrettable absence of Senator Amidala, the chair recognizes senior representative of Naboo, Jar Jar Binks.

(Amid the conflicting storm of cheers and boos, Jar Jar, with two gungan aides, floats on his pod to the middle of the vast space. He looks at Palpatine nervously. Palpatine nods.  Jar Jar clears his throat)

Jar Jar: Senators, dellow felagates...

(Laughter. Jeers. Jar Jar blushes)

Mas Amedda: Order! The Senate will accord the Representative the courtesy of a hearing!

(Comparative quiet. Jar Jar grips the edge of the podium)

MAIN SENATE CHAMBER

(Jar Jar stands in his pod as it floats in the middle of the vast space)

Jar Jar: In response to the direct threat to the Republic mesa propose that the Senate give immediately emergency powers to the Supreme Chancellor.

(Uproar. Jar Jar looks a little sheepish. Brief silence, then a rolling wave of applause. Jar Jar beams and bows. Palpatine rises)

Palpatine: It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling. I love democracy... I love the Republic. But I am mild by nature, and I do not desire to see the destruction of democracy. The power you give me I will lay down when this crisis has abated, I promise you. And as my first act with this new authority, I will create a grand army of the Republic to counter the increasing threats of the separatists.

Mace Winud: It is done then. I will take what Jedi we have left and go to Geonosis and help Obi-Wan.

Yoda: Visit I will the cloners on Kamino and see this army they have created for the Republic.

GEONOSIS - HIGH AUDIENCE CHAMBER

(Y/n, Anakin and Padme are standing in the center of what looks like a courtroom. Seated before them in a tall, boxed-off area is Poggle, Archduke of Geonosis. He is accompanied by his underling, Sun Fac. Off to one side the Separatist Senators Po Nudu, Tessek, and Toonbuck Toora. Next to them are the Commerce Dignitaries, Shu Mai, Nute, Passel Argente, Wat Tambor and San Hill of the Intergalactic Bank Clan. Along the wall about a hundred geonosians wait for a verdict)

Sun Fac: You have been charged and found guilty of Espionage.

Poggle: Do you have anything to say before your sentence is carried out?

Padme: You are committing an act of war, Archduke. I hope you are prepared for the consequences.

(Poggle laughs. Count Dooku simply smiles)

Poggle: We build weapons, Senator... that is our business! Of course we're prepared!

Nute: Get on with it. Carry out the sentence. I want to see her suffer.

Poggle: Your other Jedi friend is waiting for you, Senator. Take them to the arena!

(Four guards take hold of Y/n, Padme and Anakin. They are escorted out of the chamber to the sounds of chuckling)

TUNNEL TO EXECUTION ARENA

(In the gloomy tunnel, Y/n, Anakin and Padme are tossed into an open cart. The murmur of a vast crowd is heard offscreen. Guards extend their arms along the framework and tie them so that they stand facing each other. The driver gets up onto his seat)