TWO - THE TASK

Draco put on his black suit and combed his hair. His father always demanded him to be as presentable as possible. Even at home when nobody else could see him. He was gliding around his room, still smiling a little. But his smile dropped immediately when he saw the gloomy figure waiting for him in hall. Voldemort.

"Sit down, Draco," he said with a stern voice. His face was looking like it was carved from the stone. Draco was now more than ever grateful his aunt taught him Occlumency this summer. He immediately blocked out everything concerning his recent dream. "Yesterday, you joined us. You replaced your useless father and hopefully you will be able to repay his debts and make up for his mistakes. And now is the time for your first task."

Draco was watching him with the same stone cold expression, waiting for him to continue, dreading what the task could be.

"You know that our main goal for now is to get rid of Harry Potter. And to make it easier for us we have to get rid of his protector first. That's exactly the reason why your first task, Draco, will be to kill Dumbledore."

Draco's expression didn't change but his heart immediately dropped, inside he was screaming.

Voldemort continued without zero emotions. "You are the youngest amongst us and I'm going to be gracious with you. I won't pressure you and give you the next school year to complete it. But be aware! If you fail, the lifetime in Azkaban will be nothing compared to what I will do to you and your family."

Draco didn't flinch under the weight of his words but cold chills ran over his spine. "Yes, My Lord," he simply nodded.

"I don't think I have to even mention that you won't tell anybody about your quest. You have to do it on your own. Don't disappoint me," he warned him. Before Draco had a chance to respond, Voldemort stood up and left the room without another word.

The good mood Draco had this forenoon was long gone. He spent his whole afternoon training with Bellatrix. He was now pretty good in Occlumency so they moved to practicing nonverbal magic, focusing mostly on the defensive spell. When they finally finished he was so tired, both physically and emotionally. He was watching his bed once again with a dreadful feeling in his stomach. What if everything that happened last night was just a dream? What if there is no girl who can save him from his nightmares?

But the exhaustion and the little bit of hope won in the end and he fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

* * *

He was standing in front of Dumbledore with his wand pointed at his chest. Draco wasn't sure where they were but it was dark. He knew he had to do it. He had to! He didn't care what could happen to him but the last thing he wanted was to have his parent's blood on his hands. They weren't perfect by any means but they still were his parents and they loved him, in their own ways. But he still couldn't do it. He couldn't kill the old man in front of him.

The image changed. He was now back in his manor and his parents were also there. They looked scared. His mother was crying, clinging to his father's arm like it was her lifeline. Draco never saw his mother cry this hard.

Voldemort was also there. He had this evil smirk on his face, pointed his wand alternately in between the three of them as he couldn't decide who he should kill first. He finally settled on his mother and Draco's fist clenched. His hands were empty, he was helpless. He couldn't help her. All he could do was stand there and watch the scene in front of him.

He saw a light escaping Voldemort's wand but before it could hit his mother's chest the scene changed again. He was suddenly standing in the middle of the cozy living room. There was a big brick fireplace with fire already cracking in it. The room was quite small but every piece of furniture fit perfectly, creating a really warm and pleasant atmosphere.