FOUR - HUFFLEPUFF TABLE

Alora was sitting at Hufflepuff's table next to her best friend Felix. Her only friend. She preferred not letting people in. She didn't like keeping secrets from others, so Felix was the only one who she remained close with. She knew him her whole life, their parents were also friends in school. He was a year above her so she was already freaking out what she would do without him.

Speaking of secrets, she didn't really have a chance to tell him about Draco yet but she knew she had to. They were always honest with each other. Felix was taking care of his grandad the second half of the summer, so they didn't see each other for a long time. They had a lot of catching up to do that was for sure.

She was just thinking how she could start this conversation when a familiar blond head appeared in the doorway. He was with Theo and Blaise. His two friends were talking with each other but Alora noticed that Draco was barely listening to them. When he entered the Great Hall he immediately started scanning the whole room, without a doubt looking for her. She turned her gaze away from him, suddenly really interested in the empty table in front of her. She was sure he wouldn't recognize her. Alora never wore her hair down in the school just for this specific reason. Her hair would give her away instantly.

"You are awfully quiet, Al." Felix whispered with concern.

"Sorry. I just really need to tell you something but I don't know how to start," Alora admitted honestly.

"Another one?" He gave her a knowing look. Alora just nodded. "Do I know them?"

"He is in this room right now." Alora couldn't help herself, looking up towards the Slytherin table. She noticed him almost immediately, even though their tables were on the opposite sides of the hall. Felix followed her gaze before she could look away.

"The prince himself?" He whispered in shock.

"You have to trust me in this. You know I can't talk about the stuff I saw. But he is different than everybody thinks," she defended him instantly.

"How long?"

"A little bit over four weeks. But Felix, this time it was different. I talked to him."

"He saw you?" Felix breathed out in shock.

"Don't worry, he didn't recognize me. He doesn't even know I am also going to Hogwarts," she tried to reassure him.

"But he could recognize you now. You know it's dangerous when people know about your abilities. I am just worried about you."

Of course she knew. Her granny told her what happened to her distant aunt. How some dark wizard tried to use her ability for evil. She as every other relative of hers could only create dreams and stop nightmares. He wanted her to do the complete opposite. To take away peoples dreams and put nightmares in their heads as a form of torture. She refused of course. Every gifted person in her family swore to only help people, this was against their conviction. When he failed, even if he used Unforgivables on her, he killed her. Alora was very aware of a certain dark wizard who would really like to have someone like her in his rows. But hell would sooner freeze over than she would join Voldemort. She was more than aware that she was walking on thin ice now, spending every night with Draco, talking, being closer to him every time she woke up. Considering the fact that he was a Death eater.

"You know that the main purpose of this gift is to help people. Me talking to him was the only way I could help him. Plus I am pretty sure he can keep my secret if only because I knew some of his." Alora hoped that this wasn't the case. That Draco would keep her secret not because she knew all of his but because he cared about her.

"Fine. But if he puts you in any kind of danger I won't be afraid to Obliviate him." Felix put his arm around her shoulders protectively.

"I know, Felix. I am counting on that," she giggled softly, glad that he once again supported her. He always did. He trusted her.

The soft chatter around them continued even when professor McGonagall walked in with the group of new first years. She was about to start the sorting ceremony when Harry walked in the Great Hall. He looked tired but otherwise unharmed. She knew him, of course, everybody knew who Harry Potter was, but they never met in real life. She helped him twice though with his nightmares. For the first time when Cedric died and then when his godfather died. The latter was just before she started appearing in Draco's dreams. But she never talked to him as she talked to Draco. Harry was scared he would lose everyone. So she just filled his dreams with happy moments with his friends.

After the sorting ceremony ended and every table had a few new additions the feast appeared in front of them. The buzzing sound of people chatting got louder again. Felix started putting food on his plate whilst in deep conversation with Leanne. He was always more sociable than Alora and she was fine with that. He was her best friend but she never expected him to spend all his free time with her. She was often too focused on her own thoughts anyways. But he was there for her everytime she needed him and that was what mattered to her.

Alora almost didn't notice that Dumbledore started his traditional speech for the beginning of the year. Only when her classmates begun clapping she started listening to him. She looked towards the table when all of the teachers were sitting. As every year there was yet another new teacher. He was standing now, bowing his head ever so slightly as he was thanking for the warm welcome he got. He was rather short with a big belly, some of the buttons on his waistcoat threatened to burst off any minute.

"Professor Horace Slughorn, he takes over potions this year," Felix leaned closer to her, knowing she was probably absent in spirit for the last few minutes.

"Potions?" Alora raised her eyebrows but before she could ask more questions, Dumbledore continued.

"Meanwhile the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape."

There was another round of applause but this time it came from only one direction. The whole Slytherin table was clapping and cheering whilst every other house looked shocked and baffled. Well almost every person in Slytherin was cheering. Alora noticed that Draco was sitting there deeply in thoughts, his head rested on his palm, eyes completely unfocused. She could see how sad and depressed he looked and for a second she felt like she was the only one who could see it. But then Theo put hand on Draco's shoulder and pressed it slightly, leaning forward and mumbling something to his ear. Draco nodded and looked up, suddenly looking a little bit more like his old self. Alora couldn't help but smile a little. Theo looked like he really cared, Draco wasn't as alone as she thought. Maybe he wouldn't need her soon.

The smile she had just a moment ago dropped. He wouldn't need here anymore. She didn't like the thought of that.

Dumbledore finished his speech and sent them to bed. Alora slowly stood up and walked towards Hufflepuff common room with her head down. She was conflicted. She shouldn't feel this way. Of course she wanted him to feel better. She hated to see him suffer. But she knew that the moment he would get better she would never see him again. And that thought scared her more than it should.

She wanted him to be better and she didn't want to lose him. But she couldn't have both.