THIRTY ONE - ANOTHER ALLY

Draco was uncomfortable yet again. He couldn't even remember the last time he felt like home in his own house. They ate mostly in silence and the atmosphere was weird. Everybody seemed deeply in thoughts. When the dinner was finally over he quickly disappeared into his room, with a clear plan in his mind. Draco wanted to check the cellar, if Luna was still there and if she needed something. She didn't return back to the school so she was probably still here. He just hoped she was still relatively well and healthy. It had been several weeks since he was able to visit her.

When the clock struck midnight he quietly opened the door to peek into the hallway. The house was deadly silent. He headed towards the kitchen, wanting to sneak some food into the cellar.

"Mother?" Draco freaked out a little as he saw Narcissa sitting in the kitchen in complete darkness, clutching a cup of tea in her hands.

She blinked a few times, like she was waking up from a trance. "What are you doing here? Can't sleep?"

"Yeah," he lied flawlessly.

"There is more tea in the kettle if you want," she said absently.

"Is everything okay?" He looked at his mother with worries, pouring himself a mug.

She looked at him with undisguised sadness in her eyes. Narcisa Malfoy was a lot of things. She was a noble woman from a well known pure blood family who married into another one. She was a wife to a well known Death Eater and a loyal servant of the darkest wizard of the Wizarding world. But mostly she was a mother. She always wanted to be a mother, it was her biggest dream and goal in life. She wanted a big and happy family but faith endowed her with only one baby but she loved him and cared for him all the more. And the fact that there were now four children imprisoned and tortured in her own house was killing her. Especially because all of them were the same age as her own son.

She was currently fighting an inner battle, knowing that one of the children was Draco's childhood best friend. She still remembered the time when young Theodor used to spend summer in their manor before they started attending Hogwarts, running around with Draco, flying on fake brooms or preparing potions with random leaves and flowers. She was well aware of the fact that they weren't that close anymore but it still felt wrong keeping it a secret from him.

"I need to tell you something."

"What is it, mother?"

She took a deep shaky breath before answering. "It's about Theodor."

Draco's stomach immediately clenched with anxiety. If it was about Theo it was probably about Alora as well. His hands started to shake so he squeezed his mug tighter and sat down, waiting for his mother to continue.

"He was captured," she said quietly, looking nervously around. But they were still alone.

The silence around them was almost deafening as Draco almost forgot to breathe. His mother was watching him with curious eyes, noticing the little change in his expression but she realized she couldn't know how to read him anymore.

"Is he alright?"

"I don't know, he was in poor shape when they brought him in," she said honestly.

Draco immediately stood up again. "Brought him in? He's here?" He put down the mug and started packing some food as he originally planned to do when he first came here, ignoring the fact that his mother was still there with him. At this point they needed another aly and his mother was the only option for them. Luckily, she would do anything for her family, even lie to the man who could kill her without hesitation. At least he hoped so.

After he was done with the food he quickly walked towards the cupboard with healing potions and took a few of those, heading towards the cellar immediately after. The quiet sound of footsteps told him his mother was following him. When he finally was in the basement he was shocked with the amount of people there. The area was almost pitch black but he could still recognize the four sleeping bodies scattered around the cell. And he also immediately noticed the other two as well, the ones he carried about the most for.

Theo was sitting with his back against the cold stone, his hand wrapped around the shivering body of his girlfriend. She was obviously shaking not only with cold but also with pain. He could see the blood stains all over her clothes and the clenched teeth as she was trying really hard not to let out any noise. Draco saw enough victims of torture curse to recognize one. She was obviously tortured and definitely more than once. And something broken in Draco because it probably happened under the roof of his own house.

Theo looked up when he felt the pair of eyes on them. At first he was scared that they were back for Alora but he immediately felt relieved when he saw Draco behind the bars. But he wrapped his arms firmer protectively around her body as he noticed Narcissa behind his best friend.

Draco ignored his mother's arm on his shoulder as he quietly opened the door of the cellar. Right now he didn't care about anything else than to get to his girl and make sure she was alright. Without a single word he dropped to his knees and brushed her curls away from her sweaty face gently. He then quickly picked up one of the potions and put the bottle towards her cracked lips. "Drink, love. I know it hurts but this will help. You just have to drink it, please." He was softly brushing her clenched jaw until she relaxed a little. His voice and his touch were almost as powerful as the healing potions itself.

Draco put the empty bottle down and cupped her other cheek gently, brushing the freckles under her eyes with his thumbs. Her face relaxed even more as the potions healed her body slowly until finally she opened her eyes again.

"Draco," she breathed out silently. "It's not safe, you shouldn't be here."

"I think you have it all wrong, sweetheart. This is my house, it's you who shouldn't be here," Draco chuckled, now relieved that she was okay, pulling her in his arms into a loving hug.

Alora allowed herself to enjoy the moment for a few seconds, closing her eyes again, feeling whole and safe now that she was with him again.

Narcissa was watching them in silence, not understanding what was happening. But everything clicked when she saw the ring on the girl's finger. She recognized it all too well since she was the one who gave it to Draco on his thirteenth birthday. She looked at the girl again only to see her eyes were already on her, panic written all over her face. She gave her a little reassuring smile. It hurt a little that her own son kept something like this from her but she understood why he had to do it.

The sudden noise from upstairs pulled them all back to reality.

"Come one, Draco, we have to go," Narcissa urged him quietly.

Draco quickly glanced back at his mother as he just now realized she was still there. But one look confirmed what he was hoping for. She was now on their side.

"I can't let you go. It would be too obvious it was someone from this household and it would put all of us into even more danger. But I will figure something out, okay?" He looked back at the girl in his arms.

Alora nodded. "Try not to worry about us too much."

"I love you," Draco whispered, pulling her in a short but desperate kiss.

"I love you too."

"We really have to go, Draco," Narcissa tried to hurry them up.

Draco stood up reluctantly and exited the cell, following his mother. They walked in silence until they arrived on the upper floor where the bedrooms were.

"She is very pretty," Narcissa said finally when they were in the safety of Draco's room. "I didn't expect to meet my future daughter-in-law like this though."

Draco chuckled. "I didn't propose."

"Yet."

"I am sorry, mother. I couldn't tell you. She is not exactly someone father would have chosen for me and approved of. It isn't sa-"

"Are you happy with her?"

"What?" Draco looked at his mother, surprised.

"Are you happy?"

"Yes," he answered honestly. "I mean I would be if we weren't in this situation, if we weren't in war right now."

"Then she is exactly the right one for you. She is exactly someone I would approved of. That's all I ever wished for you, Draco. I just want you to be happy and safe." She walked towards him and took his hands in hers, pressing them reassuringly. "Now go to sleep, we will think about it tomorrow, together."