SIXTEEN - KEEP HER SAFE

Alora had this weird feeling that something was wrong, from the moment she woke up that day. When she saw Draco at the Slytherin table during breakfast he didn't give her his usual bright smile. Draco was just absently picking at his food, completely omitting the fact that she entered the Great Hall. That was, to put it mildly, really odd. His eyes were the first thing she noticed every time she came into the hall. They were always on her. Theo and Blaise were in some heated conversion, laughing and chuckling. That meant that they didn't know what was happening, yet.

It was really strange since Draco was quite open with them lately and entrusted them with almost everything. She loved how frank and close the Slytherin trio became. It gave her some kind of comfort, especially since both Theo and Blaise were from pure-blood families. That meant that they could help Draco even when the future events made the two lovers separate. He could stay close to them even when the Dark Lord would win.

"Something happened," Felix whispered anxiously, also looking at the blond Slytherin.

"I know. He was okay just yesterday." She looked at her friend full of worries. It made her think that today was THE day. When Draco would have to complete his task.

Alora didn't tell Felix about the task, of course she didn't. It was one of those secrets she would take to her grave. Firstly because if she'd said anything she would betray Draco and secondly because she would put Felix into danger. Both reasons were just as important to her.

There were tears prickling in her eyes suddenly, she was trying to blink them away. She tried to remember that she was in the middle of the Great Hall which was full of other students. It wasn't the right place for a mental breakdown. So she closed her eyes firmly, in an effort to push the tears back. Just to find out Draco was finally looking at her when she opened them again. One look. One single look was enough for her to confirm her thoughts. Today was THE day.

The breakfast ended and Alora had to head towards her classes. The day was dragging especially slowly, she sometimes even had a feeling that the time completely stopped. Draco wasn't in the Great Hall during lunch or supper. When the school day finally ended she sprinted towards their usual meeting space to only find Theo there.

"Theo?" Alora stopped in between the door frame, one hand still on the handle.

"Hey, Al," he smiled at her like nothing was wrong.

"Where is Draco?"

"Ehm, he is just a little late."

"Theo?!" Alora asked with a clear warning in her voice.

"He asked me to tell you to wait for him here," Theo tried again but she knew he was lying, he was fidgeting with his fingers too much.

Alora took one careful step back. "Why are you lying to me, Theo?"

"I am not. I thought we could hang out together for a moment, you know talking about Dray behind his back. It could be fun," he tried to laugh it off but the laughter was too fake.

"It's happening, isn't it? He fixed the cabinet and they are coming tonight, am I right?" She was sure she already knew the answer but a little tiny piece of her hoped she was wrong. But Theo's face confirmed she was right. "He wanted to leave without a single word?" She breathed out in disbelief. Her heart clenched like someone stabbed a sharp knife right in the center. "He wouldn't. No."

Alora immediately turned around and rushed out of the room, up the stairs, towards the Room of Requirement. She knew he would be there. He had to be there. She needed to see him one more time.

"Alora stop! It's not safe!" Theo was trying to catch up with her but she had a head start and was surprisingly fast.

She knew he was right but she didn't care. Step after step, corridor after corridor, she let her heart lead the way. It took ages to get there. Their room was near the dungeons and the Room of Requirement was on the seventh floor. She felt Theo's presence behind her, getting closer but she made it.

He was there, pacing back and forth in order to materialize the hidden door. Draco immediately stopped walking when he heard the rushed steps and let out a breath of relief when he noticed it was just Alora and Theo.

"I am sorry, brother, but she already knew. I didn't know you are dating a cheetah. She's so fast," Theo instantly started defending himself with a breathless voice, seeing Draco's angry expression.

"You didn't say goodbye," Alora sobbed. Her eyes were once again full of tears.

Draco's heart was already bleeding with the thought of never seeing her again. But seeing her now in front of him, crying and hurting, was another level of torture. He was a selfish man. He knew that he would never be able to let her go. It would destroy him, so he decided that morning to not say goodbye. But now he realized how stupid he was.

He quickly covered the short distance between them and took her in his arms. Alora instantly buried her head in his chest, bursting into tears. She felt his arms around her tightened, one of his hands found its way into her hair, caressing it softly.

"I thought I wouldn't be able to leave if I did," Draco admitted.

"I wouldn't hold you. I wouldn't let you risk everything," Alora pulled away slightly to look into his eyes which were now also glistening with unshed tears. She understood that he had to do this and she hoped that he knew that she did. "You have to do this. You have to save yourself and your family. I just want you to know that I love you and I will still love you no matter what happens today."

"I don't know if I can live without you," Draco admitted, scared, cupping her cheek with one of his hands, the other was still holding her waist tightly. His palm was soft and warm on her face. It was comforting and she found herself leaning into his touch, savouring the last moment they could share together.

"It's only temporary. One day it will be over and we will find our way back together. I know that," Alora was trying to reassure not only him but also herself."

"You are my dream girl," Draco chuckled lightly. "I love you so much."

"And you are my dream come true," Alora smiled through her tears and stood on her tiptoe to give him one last kiss. She could feel both of their tears on his lips and it made her kiss him even more lovingly and even more desperately. She wasn't ready to let him go but she knew it was the right thing to do. It was the only way they could be together. Not now but one day.

"You should go," she said breathlessly after she pulled away, leaving their forehead pressed together.

Draco nodded reluctantly, knowing who was coming through the cabinet tonight. He needed her to be as far as possible and he needed her to leave soon. Before it was too late. "Theo!?"

Theo who disappeared behind the corner a long time ago, wanting to give them some privacy was now hurrying back.

"You know what to do. Keep her safe!" Draco gave him a strict but desperate look.

"I will. You have my word. Don't worry about us, concentrate on yourself," Theo gave his best friend a firm pat on shoulder.

"Thanks. Now go."

Even though Alora knew she had to go, her body didn't want to listen to her. Theo had to gently pull her out of Draco's embrace. She was slowly losing the warmth of his body until only their hands remained connected. Draco did one tiny step back to make them lose even the last touch. But before they lost it he managed to slip off his silver ring, pressing it firmly into her small palm. Alora felt the cold metal in her hand, squeezing it tightly with both hands.

"One day," Draco let out the final promise.

Alora hoped that she did the right thing. Now all she could do was wait. Only time would tell. She was walking blindly, letting Theo lead the way, her eyes locked with the two grey precious gems. She gathered all her strength to give him one last smile, knowing how much he loved her two dimples and one last promise. "One day."