TWENTY ONE - COMMON COLD

"He was there?" Alora asked with an angry voice, whilst they were sitting in the far corner of some small pub in Hastings, waiting for the food they ordered. It was the first city Alora remembered when they had to apparate from her home. She was there once with her grandmother. It was a relatively large city at the south coast so it wasn't hard to find some quick shelter where they could discuss their plans. The bag her father gave her had an undetectable extending charm on it and was full of useful stuff - spare clothes, money (both wizard and muggle ones), sleeping bags, healing potions and much more. He had several prepared for situations like this. Theo was more than surprised when she pulled out a wallet full of pounds so she could pay for the room.

"Why would I lie?" Theo retorted, almost insulted.

"Okay, sorry. I just wished I was with you," she said sadly.

Theo looked at her with eyes full of understanding. He knew she wasn't really angry at him, she was just upset that she missed probably the only chance to see Draco.

"I know, Al. But at least we are now sure that he is alive and well," he gave her a small smile.

"Yeah," Alora smiled back. But their smiles didn't last long. "So I guess we are official refugees now."

"We already were, but now we are also homeless. Now, when they know about you and my father is in charge of the hunt...there is no turning back. We can't go to your house again and we can't go back to Hogwarts anymore."

Alora exhaled anxiously. "Today, we will spend the night here. We've already paid for the room. But we should utilize the weather as long as it is nice. I am sure that my father packed a tent in the bag. I don't know how long we will have to be on the run and our resources are limited."

"I've actually never been camping before," Theo chuckled softly.

"Really?" Alora asked, amused.

Theo waited with the answer until the waitress was gone, thanking her silently as she put down two plates with fish and chips and a glass of cider for each of them. "My father and I didn't exactly spend much time together and we definitely never did any father/son activities. No camping, no quidditch, no card games, nothing."

"I still don't understand how you are so nice and kind with a family like that," she shook her head in disbelief.

Theo let out a surprised laugh. "Luckily I inherited all my qualities from my mother."

"Let's eat. We can plan our camping trip later, Teddy bear," Alora smirked at him and took a big bite, quietly giggling.

The first few weeks on the run were quite easy. They spent most of the time at the south coast, camping. The fact that Alora was able to apparate made it so much easier. But with the approaching school year they were meeting more and more dark wizards. They were searching for Harry Potter, of course, but catching a few refugees like Alora and Theo would be a welcome bonus for them. They never stayed at one place for too long, constantly on the move.

Some days were longer than others. There wasn't exactly much to do. They had few books with them but both of them were almost able to recite them from memory by the end of the summer. Sometimes they were practicing their spells, teaching each other everything they knew. Alora also taught him every card game she knew and Theo beat her in dozens chest games in return. But there were more and more days when they were just bored and didn't have enough energy to do absolutely anything but listen to the radio.

"I think it's time we rent a room again," Alora said one exceptionally cold autumn day. Winter was approaching quickly as if the weather wanted to keep up with the changes in the wizarding world. The world around them became more gloomy, dark and cold as more and more people were disappearing and dying in the war.

"No, it's okay. It's not that cold yet," Theo protested immediately.

Alora put her small hand on his forehead, noticing the little droplets of sweat on his temples. "Theo, you have a fever. If you would be just a degree hotter you would set the tent on fire. Why didn't you say anything?"

"Interesting way to confess you fancy me, Al. But let's not tell Draco, okay. He would kill me before you would be able to finish the sentence," he chuckled softly but immediately started coughing.

"You are stupid," she slapped him lightly.

"Ouch, don't hurt me. Can't you see I am terminally ill."

"It's just a simple cold. You just have to rest, drink a lot of fluids and stay warm. That's exactly why it isn't smart to stay in the tent right now."

"Fine, but as soon as the fever drops we are leaving the town again. It's less and less safe every passing day."

"Don't worry, Teddy bear, I am not allowing your father to take you away from me and turn you to the dark side," Alora smiled at him sweetly and brushed his now too long fringe out of his sweaty forehead.

Theo was lost with words for a moment. He wasn't used to this kind of behaviour towards him. Even his grandmother wasn't a really affectionate person. What he remembered, she hugged him once or twice and even that was just a quick and weak embrace.

Theo decided that once this war was over he would have to thank Draco for bringing Alora into his life. She was like a sister he never had, she was more family to him than his own father ever was. She was this constant beam of light in his dark life and he was so grateful for her.

"Thank you, Sunshine."

"Of course, I am not leaving you alone in this. We are stuck together now," she gave him one last warm look and stood up to start packing their stuff.

After Alora put the now packed tent into her bag she took Theo's hand and immediately noticed that he was barely standing. He didn't look too good, she started to think that it might not be just a simple cold but something way more serious. She could feel the heat radiating from his body even though he had a jacket and blanket wrapped around him. She could also feel how his whole body was shivering as he was still cold. He was seriously ill and it was getting worse with every passing hour.

When they apparate to another bigger city she immediately pulled him towards the closest cheap looking hotel, booking a room for three days for now. The receptionist didn't look too pleased renting the room to someone so sick but she didn't say anything. They were paying customers after all.

Theo lay down into the bed with a heavy sigh of relief. The apparition took the little energy he had left and he was exhausted now. It was also so nice to lay on normal mattress after several months of discomfort in the tent.

"Sleep. I will go into town and buy some more winter clothes. I will also try to order some food, maybe they will allow me to bring it here." Alora quickly pulled the blanket higher, tucking Theo in. He just chuckled tiredly to her motherly behaviour.

"Please be safe," He mumbled, already half asleep.

"Don't worry, I will. I also put up some protective charms around this room. I will be back before you wake up."

Theo was already sound asleep before she was able to finish the spell casting. She gave him one quick glance and headed out into the town.

It was a rather small town but she didn't have many issues getting everything they needed. She hurried back, not liking to be too long from her friend, especially now when he was so sick and weak and couldn't defend himself. She ordered some strong chicken stock and some herbal tea on her way back. Luckily the annoying receptionist wasn't there anymore and her colleague didn't have a problem with her request at all.

As she thought Theo was still asleep when she came back. "Wake up, Teddy bear. You need to eat," she gave him a gentle shake.

Theo let out an adorable growl and rolled to the other side. Alora just chuckled and tried again. After three or four more vicious shakes he finally woke up and ate the soup just to fall asleep right after he swallowed the last spoon.