Life Goes On

AN: I hope everyone is enjoying the books for far.

~~~~~~~~~

Courtney's POV

4 Years Later

August

11:30 AM

Wawanaka Diner

It was a busy lunch service, I made sure all the customers had their orders, doing good or brought them anything they needed. And once again I'm pulling another double shift because we're down one waitress, but I can't complain I need the money.

Today is such a hot day I swear it's hotter inside than it is outside, of all days for the air conditioner to break. I swear Chef loves torturing us.

Then again this job hasn't let me down yet.

Glancing at the clock I thankfully had 30 minutes left before my shift ended and then I was off to meet Heather who wanted my help for her date tonight.

While other college students were off on vacations, travelling across Europe and having fun. Meanwhile, I've been busy saving for the fall semester of my final year, books 📚, school materials, rent, and bills including Dad's debt.

Life these past 4 years hasn't been easy. Shortly after graduation I left Vancouver and came to
Toronto for law school, also to start new. But no shorter than arriving I was being called by collectors for payments.

Needless to say aside from school and rent already being my concern this debt added on, so much for a new beginning.

Apart from finding an off-campus studio apartment, that was somewhat affordable. I got a job at the diner that was very popular amongst students and locals, but also I was an on-call server for a catering company that did lots of events and most times was my lifesaver.

Thankfully summer was wedding season so I was called on a lot.

Once I saw the customers were all set I went behind the counter to put the water pitcher away...

* Ding *

" Order up table 4 " announced the chef placing two plates on the pickup window "Thanks chef, " I said grabbing my table order.

Quickly bringing food for one table another was waving me down, "Almost done " I breathed rushing over.

~~~~~~~~

Once it calmed down I collected all the plates and glasses, every so often tips were left at most $5 if I was lucky $20 but today it was mostly loose change.

Taking a deep breath I mentally tell myself what I've been saying every day to keep me going "It's better than nothing Courtney ".

After I was finished I walked to the kitchen and loaded everything in the dishwasher.

Glancing at my watch my eyes opened it was fifteen minutes past 12, " Chef I'm off now " I said untying my apron "Al right nice work as always see you tomorrow " he calls back.

I rushed to the back to put my apron in my locker where my purse was.

Thankfully today I wore a white T-shirt with knee-length jeans and sneakers 👟. I had my hair tied back, it's funny when I was in high school I had it to my shoulder but today it was past my back. Heather said long hair looked good on me, I was still trying to get used to it.

Right, now that I'm done work I better go meet Heather at her place.

~~~~~~~~