Chapter 12

I looked at myself in the mirror of an old and gloomy restroom, my skin was so pale it almost turned gray. I took a lipstick from my purse in front of me and, as it was the only makeup I had brought with me, I put small spots on each cheek and spreaded it with my thumbs to make me look a little healthier. With a deep sigh, I readjusted my black jacket, removing invisible dust from my side.

Two months had passed. I had to go back to my old life at home. The last few weeks at work were a nightmare. When I got back my colleagues couldn't stop asking me about Hannah's case and the fact I flirted with some wanted criminal. Everything I had managed to hide during months was now known by everyone. Fortunately, I could work from home. And when I asked my boss, if I could do that everyday she was delighted to accept my request saying it would be beneficial for me. But I knew she was pissed and only accepted this because it would stop my colleagues from gossiping.

My personal life wasn't better. Most of my friends stopped talking to me. Only a few of them kept on supporting me even if they didn't approve of what I did. My mother was about to argue with me but when she saw my face, she immediately worried and tried to comfort me as best as she could. She forbade me to go back to Duskwood, though. But obviously I didn't listen to her.

After two months, I was finally back in Germany but this time I wasn't in Duskwood. This time I was in Colville, in Colville's courthouse to be more specific.

The sound of a toilet flush got me out of my daydream, and I saw Lilly walk out of a toilet booth and stop in front of the sink next to me. She washed her hands in silence. Lilly had red eyes from crying so much. These past few weeks have been tough for her too. First, there was Hannah's trial. As she was a minor when Jennifer's accident happened, she wasn't sentenced to prison. But her psychiatrist, Dr Barrett, told she wasn't stable mentally. So she had to spend two years in a mental facility. For Hannah's family it looked like prison, she wasn't free anymore. I couldn't attend her trial but Cleo told me Hannah didn't react, she even seemed relieved and accepted her sentence.

Lilly still needed to deal with her sister's absence and today was her brother's trial. Of course I couldn't miss it. Even if I wasn't allowed to testify on this trial I wasn't going to let Jake face this alone, nor Lilly. Alan had been cleared about it. I was free to go but the police and the FBI wouldn't let me interfere in Jake's trial. It was a miracle I could even attend it. I knew it wouldn't be easy, every proof pleaded against Jake. But a part of me couldn't help but have hope. Jake was a good person. He did illegal things, but it was to expose corrupt people. The jury would see it, right?

I took my purse and let it hang loosely on my shoulder, "We should go, it will soon start." I carefully said to Lilly. The blond girl looked at me with a blank stare and nodded. We both went out of the restroom and faced a tall dark-haired man, Nathan Donfort.

The man was waiting for his younger daughter. When he saw her, he immediately came to Lilly with a worried look. I frowned at her without knowing why her father was here. He put a protective hand upon Lilly's shoulder and then turned to me, "You're MC I guess?" he asked.

I opened my mouth to answer but Lilly was faster than me, "Dad, what are you doing here?"

Mr. Donfort looked at his daughter, hurt. I could tell he didn't expect such an angry tone from her. "I-I just wanted to come to support you Lilly. He... He's your brother." He almost whispered, his cheeks slightly pink because of the shame.

"Yes, he is my brother and he also is your son!" Lilly shouted. I looked at her with wide eyes, I had never seen her like this.

The man winced and rubbed his face. It was clear he didn't consider Jake as his son. "We've already talked about it. I barely know him..."