Chapter 17

We didn't stay long in Duskwood's motel. The next day, Alan warned us that Mia would indeed be a key witness.

The lawyers from the civil parties relied on her testimony to convince the jury of the authenticity of the evidence Matt found.

From then, everything went fast. The prosecutor requested a trial in the couple of weeks that followed Roth's arrest, and soon, I was in the backseat of Alan's car on my way back home and the real culprit was behind bars.

Roth was so bold and confident that he decided to lead his own defense. But the evidence was so overwhelming that he ended up having no choice but to plead guilty, like Jake did two years ago.

On top of that the man tried to gain a reduce pain by giving the judge the names of all his allies but all he had was a comfy cell with all the comfort of a house in a prison far away from the other regular prisoners. A privilege that only wealthy men could afford. I was disappointed he could still live a luxurious life, but at least he would never be free anymore and he would be unable to influence our lives anymore.

It wasn't over, though. I introduced Mia to Angela, so the two women could plan her testimony that would help clear Jake's name.

They already met a couple of time with him. I asked Angela if I could join but, according to her, Jake refused that I came to Colville's prison the same way he rejected every of my ask for a visit.

Now here I was, my forehead against the cold glass of the car window, watching the shadows dancing in the night along the countryside road.

I had almost reached my goal. Jake's trial was planned for this very afternoon and then, I decided to get back to my old life. Neither Matt nor I were allowed to assist his trial. Part of me was relieved. I deeply hoped he would be free but I also wanted to move on.

Jake's many rejections hurt me. Two years had passed since we were with each other and his feelings had probably faded away. I didn't know how I felt toward him. I cared about him but was it still love?

Now that Jake was about to live a free life he would have a lot of things to do, like caught up the time lost with his sisters. I couldn't blame him. I long ago accepted the fact he wasn't the man of my life, but the pain was still as painful as the first day.

Alan's car parked in front of Matt's apartment, or should I say his basement. He still didn't have a proper place in Colville, but now Matt also could go back to a normal life.

Before he left the car Matt took my hand and squeezed it, "See you tonight?" He asked.

We agreed we would meet each other during Jake's trial. We couldn't assist it but decided to wait for the verdict together.

I nodded in agreement and watched Matt walk away.

When we arrived in front of my building, both Alan and I got out of the vehicle. The first ray of the sun started to rise, shyly lighting the light gray sky.

The cold hit me and I shivered. Mist formed in the air with each of my breaths and the morning dew seemed to weigh on the atmosphere like a heavy blanket.

Alan closed the car door behind me and I turned around to face him, "So I guess this is goodbye," he said with a low voice.

"Probably," I simply replied. I was about to leave when a feeling of incompleteness made my stomach churned. I raised a hand between the police chief and I, "Thank you for your help,"

Alan smirked, a chuckle escaped his mouth. I must have sounded a bit hypocritical, but he did his best to hide this mocking expression.

Alan shook my hand, his warm coarse skin seemed to scratch my palm, "It was a pleasure to work with you," the man answered.