Chapter 9-Andrew

By the time I finally made it to the New York Harold, all the newsies were already gathered outside the gates. I saw Charles at the front like he normally was and headed his way. When I was at his side, he gave me a quick glance and then stared at me.

     "What?" I asked.

     "You look even worse than yesterday if that is even possible." He said. "Are you being held captive and being tortured?"

     I shoved him. "No, you idiot. Just not feeling the best."

     Charles stepped back. "If you're sick you need to leave. I don't want explosive diarrhea again from another newsie." He smiled jokingly, and I rolled my eyes.

    Despite the early morning chill, it felt amazing to be outside again. We still had 30 minutes before the gates opened.

    I looked around at nothing in particular when I heard falling objects in the distance. It sounded like a garbage can had fallen along with the trash on top of it and inside of it. All the newsies looked in the direction of the sound.

    I cracked my knuckles and headed toward the sound. Many of the newsies stared as I walked, but others paid no attention.

     The sound had come from a nearby alleyway. But when I looked inside, there was no one there. Just a fallen trash can. Weird...I thought as I walked back to the group.

     The newsies and I waited for the remainder of the time outside sitting on crates or the curb of the street. There was no real reason for us to be out here 30 minutes before, but it was customary for us to show up early.

     As time went on, more and more people showed up on the street, opening up their shops or shopping themselves. By the time it was 7:00, the city was bustling with people.

     The gates opened and we all ran in.

     As soon as I got all the newspapers for the day, I ran outside and into the city. Since I've been doing my job for a while now, I know all the good spots to hand out newspapers. I walked down the streets that were filled with fancy shops, jewelry shops, and of course, clothing stores. That's where all filthy rich people are. I may have a trick or two up my sleeve and I sort of lie to them on what the newspaper is about to catch their attention.

     "MAN SELLS HIS WIFE TO A POOR MAN BECAUSE HE CAUGHT HER CHEATING!" I shouted.

     A few older-looking men right beside me, looked at each other. "I would do the same thing." They laughed.

     They both grabbed a newspaper and handed me a few coins. "This is gonna be priceless." They teased.

     Free money what can I say?

     A few hours passed and it was finally time for lunch. I had a few extra cents so I decided to go to a sandwich shop nearby that I've passed a few times. I started to make my way down to the shop when I noticed something. Every time I turned the corner, I noticed someone following me. I didn't know who it was. They wore a black cloak that covered their face and body. No one around me seemed to care, so I brushed it off as a coincidence and continued walking.

     When I entered the shop, there were only three people inside. It was 2:00 PM, pretty late for lunch hour. I walked up to the counter and ordered my food, handing the cashier a coin or two.

     I waited for my food for a few minutes, gathered my stuff, and left. I sat down at a nearby bench and ate my food alone. When you're a newsie, it's completely up to you and your work when you eat and when you leave. It also depends on the headline of the day. If it's something interesting, many people are going to want it, allowing the newsie to go home as early as 6:00!