CHAPTER LXIV: Back in the Game (Castiel)

CASTIEL

CASTIEL

THE NEW year had arrived, but I remained trapped in the past year's sorrow. Losing my sister and nearly losing my friend scarred me deeply. It left an unfillable void in my heart. The sadness, guilt, and regret threatened to consume me entirely. I managed to pull myself out of it, but just barely.

I felt uncertain about everything. In recent weeks, I had merely existed rather than truly lived. I occupied space and breathed air, but my interest in life had waned. What was the point of my existence anyway? If it were not for the pain it would cause my parents, I might have considered drastic measures.

My family was not the only ones affected, even nearly everyone around me. I ran away from the USC, skipped my classes, and isolated myself at home. Yet, my friends refused to give up on me, despite me repeatedly ignoring them. Halos araw-araw ay nakatatanggap ako ng message mula sa kanila. Fabienne checked on me regularly, despite everything I did to her. Priam also inquired abut my well-being, despite the mess that I had put him through.

Priam... The guilt had been eating me up since the day he was stabbed at the campus fair. When I heard the news that he had regained consciousness, Cassidy's tragic fate haunted me. Nagising na nga siya, ngunit baka iminulat niya lamang ang kaniyang mga mata para magpaalam sa amin. The pain of losing my sister cut so deep, I could not bear the thought of experiencing such trauma again and shattering my now fragile heart into thousands of pieces.

One December afternoon, when I met them at my sister's grave, I could not hold back my emotions any longer. I broke down in tears before them.

"I'm sorry, Priam! I'm so sorry! Please forgive me. Please!"

"It's alright. You do not need to apologize anymore."

"No! It's my fault kung bakit may masamang nangyari sa yo. If it weren't for me—"

"I do not blame you for what happened, so stop blaming yourself, okay? Ang importante'y buhay pa ako."

"I'm so so sorry! Please forgive me."

At that moment, all I wanted was ask for forgiveness and set things right. Wala na akong ibang mas gugustuhin pa sa mundo kundi marinig na napatawad na niya ako. Handa akong gawin ang lahat para doon. Priam's words offered some solace to my wounded soul, but they were not enough to mend my broken heart.

Last year's Christmas and New Year celebrations marked the first time without Cassidy at home. Two years ago, we celebrated with her, but in her hospital room. Ang sakit-sakit, hindi lamang para sa akin, ngunit lalo na sa mga magulang ko na salubungin ang Pasko at Bagong Taon na may kulang sa mesa namin. There used to be four of us during Noche Buena and Media Noche at the dining table. The empty chair was a stark reminder that our family would never be whole again. It would never be the same.

My heart was torn between feeling a bit relieved or deeply hurt. On one hand, Cassidy was already at peace now, and my family could start to move on from hoping that one day, she would come back to us. On the other hand, Cassidy was robbed of her future, and my family could not accept the fact that she was gone too soon.