EPILOGUE: Necessary Evil

ALARIC

ALARIC

IT WOULD take considerable courage for someone to admit defeat. Given my recent fall from grace and the outcome of the USC presidential elections, many might argue that I had suffered a significant loss—and that I was the biggest loser of the year. But what they failed to realize was that, win or lose, I could claim victory either way. It's akin to betting on the top two horses in a race. There was no scenario where I could be truly beaten.

I know. This might sound confusing to those not privy to the behind-the-scenes machinations. I would not be surprised if someone suggested that I was under some sort of delusion.

As much as possible, I strived not to lose. I was born that way, and I intended to keep it that way.

Standing near the rooftop's edge, I overlooked students seated in the campus quadrangle. For years, I had always taken this view for granted. But today, I savored every moment. This might well be my last sight of Elysian University.

"If you're contemplating jumping and pinning your death on me, I strongly advise against it."

Footsteps and clacks echoed across the rooftop. Finally, he's here. I glanced over my shoulder.

"Firstly, only fools would believe that I, a cripple, pushed you, an able-bodied man, off the rooftop," Castiel Seville said, limping toward me. "Secondly, you're far too conceited to take your own life."

I turned to face him and approached. "Thank you for coming. I was afraid you wouldn't show up. Must be busy with the transition."

"Normally, I would not bother, especially for you," he replied, stopping in the center. "But I couldn't resist seeing your loser face and rubbing it in. I've always wanted to wipe that smug look off your face."

Meeting him in the middle, a confident smirk crossed my lips. "Then why am I still looking so smug?"

"Ang kapal ng mukha mo, eh," he snapped. "Talo ka na nga, ikaw pa ang may lakas ng loob na mukhang magyabang."

"But have I truly lost?" I tilted my head. "Am I really the loser here?"

He squinted at me, seemingly unable to comprehend. "I honestly don't care about you, but just this once, get help. You're detached from reality. Hindi magandang senyales 'yan. Baka nasisiraan ka na ng bait."

I slid my hands into my pockets and began to pace slowly around him. For a moment, I avoided meeting his gaze. "Remember our last conversation in the LEXECOM office?"

He followed my movements closely, his expression guarded. "Of course. I offered you a way out, and you refused. Now, you're facing the consequences. Your reputation is tarnished. You lost the election. You resigned from the CSC. Nagtataka nga ako kung saan ka humuhugot ng lakas ng loob at kapal ng mukha para magpakita rito sa campus."