~11~

that morning newt got up at his usual time to send minho and the rest of the runners off into the maze for the day. he knows i like to sleep in so he didn't wake me. when I did wake up, I learned from newt that alby had gone into the maze to look for any traces of Ben with minho.

a few of us were trying to chop down a tree trunk while we talked about alby going into the maze.
"why would ably go back to where Ben was just stung?" thomas asked us.
"alby knows what he's doing alright" newt told him
"you just gotta trust him on this one Thomas" i added
"he knows better than any of us" newt said
"what does that mean?" thomas asked
newt looked at me and i nodded at him to signal to tell thomas.
"all right it's like you've heard yea" newt began "every month the box sends up a new arrival, someone had to be first right, someone had to have spent a whole month in the glade alone. that was alby" newt told thomas.
"it couldn't have been easy, not knowing what happened, if anyone else was coming, i mean i would have just gave up" i mumbled
"thats why we all need to stick together okay? we're in this together okay?" newt said proudly
thomas then got up and started helping him take down the tree.

just then we saw a storm over the maze heading for the glade, it started raining heavily.
later that evening we were all waiting for Minho and alby to come back from the maze, but they hadn't yet
it was getting dark, and I was getting really worried
"they should be back by now, what happens if they don't make it" thomas asked
"they're gonna make it" newt said
newt put on a brave face but i could tell he was just as scared.
I began to chew on the skin around my nail again as i was getting really stressed at this point.
Newt grabbed my hand, and gave me a smile. I knew that him and Alby were quite close, so I knew the smile was fake.
I was staying quiet, while everyone else was talking about it. when the rain had settled down, all the gliders gathered at the doors to the maze, waiting for them. I was still holding newts hand. the glade was quiet.
"come on guys, can't we send someone after them?" thomas pleaded
"that's against the rules either they make it back or they don't" gally replied.
i could tell that Gally was scared of them not coming back.
"can't risk losing anyone" newt added
at that moment, i knew what I had to do. I couldn't just stand here, wondering if they were going to survive, I had to try and help them.
i turned to newt and put my hand on his face turned it towards me.
"im sorry, i cant let them get trapped in there" i gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and turned to run into the maze.
"Julie, please don't" newt begged. i saw the fear in his eyes but i was determined to make it back.
"im sorry" i mumbled through a few tears.
I ran as fast as I could, into the maze, like my life depended on it. I turned a few corners and I soon saw Minho trying to carry alby's unconscious body.
"oh my god, minho!" i shouted "what happened?"
"Jules?" minho sounded scared for me.
I ran over to them and threw one of Alby's arms over my shoulder in an attempt to lift some of his weight.
"we need to go, now!" i said to him
The two of us ran as fast as we could towards the doors. this was my first time in the maze, and I was petrified of getting stuck there.

we turned the final corner and seen the doors, we seen all the gladers waiting for us to come back to the glade, but as soon as we turn the corner, the door began to close.
"RUN JULES!" minho shouted
Both of us ran faster than we could have ever in our lives. I was looking at newts face. he was trying to go in the maze but some of the guys were holding him back. So I thought of that when I was running I was determined to make it back to him. I needed him to hug me and tell me it would all be okay.
we were about 10 feet away from the door, and I knew we weren't gonna make it. we still tried our hardest to get there, but the doors slammed shut before we could.