Chapter 21

Melanie came out of the dungeons in a surprisingly good mood. Professor Snape was teaching her about different techniques she could practice to help her bring out the fire. She reckoned he still felt a bit guilty after the incident with the willow and as a way to make up for it he was going easy on her. It was nearly 7 so Melanie headed towards the great hall. She waited around for a couple of minutes until Cedric showed up.

"I hope I didn't keep you waiting long Summers." He said with a dashing smile.

"No I just came up."

"You hungry?" He said as he gestured for her to go in.

"Yeah, starving actually." She replied as they sat at the Hufflepuff table.

"Well Hello there." Said a boy with black hair, green eyes and a dark complexion.

"Guys you all know Melanie. Melanie this is Jake, Matt, Noah and Caroline."

"Hi." Melanie said shyly as she took a seat next to Cedric. She shot a quick glance to the Gryffindor table, she noticed the sea of redheads and she smiled to herself lightly at how easy it was to spot them.

Cedric and Melanie enjoyed a nice peaceful dinner. Cedric told her about his family and his plans for Christmas. They spoke about various other things and Melanie felt truly comfortable around all the Hufflepuffs. It was a nice change from what she was going through recently.

"So, I promise I wasn't snooping. But I thought I saw my name in that letter of yours earlier." He said as he took a sip of his juice.

"Did you now?" She said with a smirk.

"Have you been writing about me Summers?" He replied.

"Maybe.." she trailed off with a cheeky little smile.

"Only good things I hope." He shot her a wink and passed her some cherries.

"Of course. I was just telling my best friend how you remind me of him."

"Ouch." Said Jake as Cedric shot him a glare.

"What?" Asked Melanie surprised at the sudden comment.

"Er nothing I just burnt my tongue on this apple crumble." He said quietly as he looked down at his plate.

"I think that's our cue to leave." Said Cedric as he got up from the table and took Melanie's hand. She followed him out of the great hall. She glanced over at the Gryffindor table once more and made direct eye contact with Fred who sombrely smiled at her.

"What was that?" Melanie asked as they were walking up the stairs.

"What was what?" Cedric replied acting as if he didn't know what she was talking about.

"Jakes comment." She said as she crossed her arms in a playful manner.

"Oh that." Cedric smiled awkwardly as he scratched the back of his head. After a long pause he continued "there's no use trying to come up with an excuse is there?"

"Nope." She replied as she looked up at him.

"Well you see Summers, I've grown to like you over the past couple of months." He said shyly as he stopped outside the portrait hole.

"Well that's good considering we're friends." She said as she smiled at him.

"Jeez Melanie you really know how to make a guy over explain himself. I think I'm starting to like you as more than a friend.."

"Oh."

"Yeah but look, I don't want anything to ruin our friendship. I just, it's just a silly crush I'll get over it. Oh Merlin please don't start treating me differently."