Chapter 41

Melanie and Harry were in the great hall studying together for their herbology exam. They both neglected that subject the most and even though final exams were in May the two decided to at least try and catch up on the material.

Soon most of the Gryffindor group joined them. Hermione brought in many books from the library and Ron, as usual, brought no books with him. All attempts to study went out the window when the twins came into the hall.

Fred and George chatted excitedly about their birthday that was the next day and no matter how much Hermione scolded them they refused to study for their upcoming O.W.ls.

"Speaking of birthdays. When's yours Mel?" Ron asked just wanting to take the attention away from the twins.

"September." Fred replied.

"We know that genius, obviously Ron meant the actual date." George mocked.

"Cat got your tongue Freddie?" Ginny remarked. Fred formed his lips into a thin line admitting defeat.

"20th." Melanie filled in casually and Fred made sure to make a mental note of that date.

"Oh that's a day after Hermione's." Harry said.

"You know what that means ladies." George said lifting his eyebrows happily.

"Joined birthday party!" The twins exclaimed and Melanie and Hermione giggled lightly to each other.

Fred straightened up suddenly in his seat. Melanie heard someone clear their throat behind them. She turned around and saw Angelina and Alicia.

"Can I talk to you for a moment?" Alicia said anxiously.

"Yeah sure." Fred replied.

"Not you. Melanie." Angelina remarked quickly.

At that sentence everyone at the table widened their eyes slightly. Melanie straightened up and looked at Angelina and Alicia. "Erm yeah, alright." She replied. Alicia tilted her head to the side indicating she would like to talk privately. Melanie stepped away with them. While she was walking out of the hall she could feel Fred's gaze on her back.

"So let me cut to the point. As you know it's the twins birthday tomorrow." Alicia said.

"Uhuh." Melanie responded not really knowing where she's going with this.

"Each year me and Alicia bake them a cake. It's tradition."

"And we thought maybe you'd like to join us this year." Alicia added.

"Oh, are you sure? If this is your thing then I wouldn't want to get in the middle of that." Melanie replied.

"Well you already meddled between Fred and I, what difference does baking a cake make?" Angelina remarked. Alicia widened her eyes and scolded her.

"Right. Yeah I guess I'll leave that for you then." Melanie rolled her eyes and started walking back to the table. Fred was still looking at her confused when she heard Angelina call after her.

"Melanie wait." She said as she caught up to the blonde. She sighed unhappily, "sorry." Melanie raised an eyebrow. " Look. I have my own issues with both you and Fred, but Alicia really wants to do this with you."

"Why?"

"Because, she's been crushing on George ever since they joined the team together. And since Fred is the most important person to George and your Fred's girlfriend she would like to bond with you."

"And you?"

"I have no interest in that, you stole the guy I was dating. But I'm still a good friend. And if you're willing I'd like to call a truce for Alicia's sake."