Chapter 39

Melanie shot back into the living room of the Summers family home. She groaned as she got up from the floor massaging her tail bone.

"Willow is that you?" A voice called from upstairs.

Melanie recognised it straight away. After a couple of seconds she heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Buffy is still sleeping after patrolling and I was wondering if maybe you could drive me to school?" Dawn said as she hurried down to put her shoes on.

Melanie placed the firework carefully on a shelf and walked out into the corridor. "Willow isn't here right now, but maybe you'd settle for a stroll to school with your big sister?" She asked.

In an instant Dawn started shrieking with excitement. She dropped her shoe and ran up to Melanie.

"Dawn?! What's going on?" Buffy shouted as she rushed downstairs. She stopped on the last step as she realised Melanie was standing in front of her. "You're home."

"I am." Melanie replied. Buffy came down and embraced her younger sisters tightly.

"What are you doing here?" Dawn asked.

Melanie inhaled sharply and looked up at Buffy before returning her gaze back to Dawn. "Well it's a special day, and I needed to be with family right now." Buffy placed her hand on Melanie's shoulder.

"Breakfast?"

"Sure, but let me just walk Dawn to school."

"Oh since I'm up already let's just drive." Buffy suggested.

"No fair. Melanie's back and I still have to go to school while you get to spend the day with her?"

"Relax Dawnie im staying for a couple of days."

"You heard her. Now get your butt in the car."

The second Dawn left the car Melanie slumped back into her seat. It was exhausting to be so positive on a day like that.

"I called Milo. He's been living with Giles for a while." Buffy said randomly.

"Oh that's great. I haven't seen him since Christmas." Melanie replied dryly. "Sorry Buff. But I just want to get through today."

"Understandable."

The two of them returned home. Buffy went into the kitchen to get something to eat and Melanie made her way up to her room. The familiar feeling of grief engulfing Melanie the second she stepped through the threshold. She slumped back onto her bed and stayed there. 

Buffy came up with some food but Melanie didn't feel like eating. Buffy climbed into bed and embraced Melanie. The two of them stayed silent until they heard a knock on Melanie's door.

"Come in." Melanie remarked. In a split second the door opened and Milo and Giles almost toppled through it. She smiled and got up. Giles embraced her almost instantly and held her for a long time.

"All right my turn now." Milo said impatiently.

Melanie chuckled as he almost threw himself on her. "I missed you too." She said. She couldn't help a couple of tears come down her cheek.

Giles retreated downstairs to make some tea and Milo got into bed with Melanie and Buffy. Thankfully Melanie's bed was wide enough to fit the three of them.

"So what do you want to do today?" Buffy asked.

"I definitely want to go see him when it gets dark. You know place some flowers and talk to him."