Prologue

"This is Berk. It's twelve days north of hopeless, and a few degrees south of freezing to death. It's located solidly on the meridian of misery."

"My village, in a word, sturdy. It's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new. We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets, the only problems are the pests."

"You see most places have mice or mosquitoes, we have, DRAGONS!"

"My name's Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, great name, I know, but it's not the worst. Parents believe a hideous name would frighten off gnomes and trolls, as if our charming viking demeanour wouldn't do that."

"But you already knew all this stuff most likely, you read the books, you've seen the films, you've played the games, but this is quite different. This story takes place in a reality that thankfully never coalesced, because of the pathways we took. But this one sits in the wings of whatever Flightmare crossed our path, because it's too heartbreaking to recall, one that personally I would love to pretend doesn't exist."

"This is the story about how I got disowned by my own father, and forced to realign my identity with the dragons, ending up as the dragon master known as Night Rider, along with my friends."

So sit back, and enjoy the ride, because we, the Dragon Riders, aren't stopping for anyone."