Chapter Fifteen, Worst fears confirmed.

As Melina drove through the city, her window open as it brushed against her hair and face, she'd been deep in thought

As Melina drove through the city, her window open as it brushed against her hair and face, she'd been deep in thought. After yesterday she wasn't sure how to process anything that'd happened. The sliver of hope that she'd felt had long since dissipated. Nadia and Ellie tried their best to console the girl, but it didn't help. Melina initially felt upset, then it turned to anger, then back to sadness.

She couldn't help but feel her anxieties consume her with every passing second. It was clear to her friends she was falling harder than she would allow herself to admit.

The girls were on the way to the airport to drop Ellie off. Letting the older girl go seemed to get harder after every visit she made to Bologna. As a goodbye present, Melina allowed Ellie to have aux, to which she'd eagerly played Brent Faiyaz.

As the airport came into view, the girls all grew a sense of dread and disappointment. Her trip was coming to an end and they all knew they wouldn't see each other for at least another month or two.

"I guess this is it." Ellie frowns.

Melina parks her car and unbuckles, turning to face Ellie with a pout. "Do you have to leave?"

"Unfortunately." She sighs, "I should've never taken those summer classes. I really regret that decision now."

"Yeah, well, you can just say you hate us." Nadia rolls her eyes in annoyance, but her soft smile gives her away.

Ellie suppresses a laugh, "you're so right. I definitely hate you." She opens her door and the other two girls follow in suit.

Melina pops the trunk so Ellie could get her suitcase out. Once she shuts the trunk, the three stand awkwardly. "So, I guess this is goodbye for now?" Tears well in the girls brown eyes, and soon enough they are all crying as they hug goodbye.

"Come home the next time you get the chance!" Nadia says through a choked sob, squeezing her friend tightly.

"I'll try!" Ellie cries, "I hate this!"

Melina nudges Nadia aside so she can hug the girl. "I hate this more. Call us tons, no matter the time difference."

Squeezing Melina, the brunette nods, "I promise I'll try." With one final group hug, Ellie departs, walking into the airport as her friends watch her sadly.

Nadia climbs into the passenger seat as Melina gets into the drivers seat. "Okay. Now what?" Her tone is laced with sadness that Melina feels as well.

Shrugging, Melina drives them out of the airport and back onto the main roads. "Not sure."

The car is silent as Melina maneuvers throughout the city streets till she subconsciously finds herself in the parking lot of "Steve's diner". When the girls realize where they ended up, they erupt into laughter.