The bane of Emily Gilmore

"What?" Emily Gilmore said, panicky and surprised. "When?"

Richard had just informed us that his mother was visiting from London.

It should be known that the only thing Emily Gilmore fears more than the maids bringing the wrong food, is Richard's mother.

"Oh, girls, you'll just love her," Richard continued. "She is such an incredible woman."

"Can no one hear me?" Emily yelled. "When is she coming?"

"A week from today," Richard answered. Then he continued with his praise.

Emily pursed her lips and excused herself to go into the kitchen, probably to scream into a pillow.

"Lucy, why don't you get your grandmother," Lorelai said, making erratic movements that signified that she knew what was up.

I went to find my grandmother and found the basement door slightly ajar.

"Grandma?" I yelled.

"Down here," she quickly answered. I went down the creaky steps to the basement.

Emily was down there, unpacking all sorts of boxes.

"What are you doing," I laughed.

"I have to unpack all the things that wretched woman has bought us over the years."

"Great grandma?" I asked.

"Of course your great grandmother! I have to get everything out, because when she comes, she'll expect to see everything out!" Then she paused. "Where is that doll she bought you once? The one with the creepy eyes?"

I shrugged. "Probably in a box at home."

"And that's another thing. She doesn't know that you've moved out. You were always her pride and joy. At least one daughter brought up right."

"Calm down, Grandma," I quickly said, grabbing the butter knifes she was wielding like a sword.

"Thank you, Lucy," she sighed. "I just really need to do this now. You know her. She will tell if a single thing is placed irregularly from where she put it."

I nodded. "I understand. Maybe just do it tomorrow. You have a whole week."

As I was leaving the basement, I saw the two hound statues Lorelai the first had given us a while back.

"Don't forget that Daniel and Henry go by the door," I reminded her. Emily put her hands on her hips.

"I'll try not to."

A week later, I was getting dressed to go to Friday night dinner.

I looked up and saw Rory in my doorway, wearing a polka dot dress.

"You look nice," I said, then went back to tying my shoes. She came in.

"Do you think she'll like me?" Rory asked. Of course Lorelai the first would like Rory. More than me, even though she hasn't even met her. Because Rory is the golden child. She easily overshadows me, but I'm fine with that.

"Definitely."

"Really?"

"Yeah, didn't you say Grandpa said that you remind him of her?" I asked. My sister nodded. "Yeah, she's gonna love you. That's the biggest compliment you can get."

"Girls!" Lorelai yelled. "Let's go! I don't want to be late to my mother's night of torture!"

"You're a horrible person!" Rory yelled back. We laughed and left for dinner.