ch10

Hades stepped through the swirling portal, emerging into the dimly lit alleys of a modern American city. The night air was cool, filled with the distant hum of traffic and the occasional murmur of pedestrians. His cloak billowed around him, a stark contrast to the neon lights that flickered in the distance. He paused, allowing himself a moment to adjust to the urban landscape after the ancient grandeur of Asgard.

As he began to walk, a brilliant light descended from the sky, illuminating the alleyway in a golden glow. Hades shielded his eyes, recognizing the divine presence even before the figure fully materialized. The Archangel Michael, resplendent in his celestial armor, stood before him, his wings shimmering with an ethereal light.

"Hades," Michael intoned, his voice both commanding and serene. "The Lord has decreed that your quest for vengeance against Zeus shall be permitted. However, there is a condition."

Hades regarded the archangel with a mixture of curiosity and wariness. "Speak your terms, Michael."

"No innocent human shall be harmed in your pursuit," Michael said, his gaze piercing. "The Lord's wrath will be swift and merciless upon any who spills innocent blood. You seek justice, not chaos, and you must tread carefully."

Hades nodded slowly, absorbing the weight of Michael's words. "I have no desire to harm mortals. My quarrel is with Zeus and those who support his tyranny. I will ensure no innocent lives are caught in the crossfire."

Michael's expression softened slightly, though his demeanor remained firm. "See that you remember this vow, Hades. The other gods have chosen not to involve themselves in this rising conflict, either out of fear or indifference. Your path is fraught with peril, but you must uphold the sanctity of innocent life."

Hades's eyes darkened, and he clenched his fists. "I understand. But know this, Michael: I will not hesitate to destroy anyone—man, monster, or God—who stands in my way. Zeus must be stopped, and I will tear apart anyone who tries to prevent that."

Michael's wings rustled, casting shadows that danced along the alley walls. "I pray that your path does not lead to further sorrow, Hades. May your judgment remain clear, and may your vengeance be just." Micheal was more powerful than any of the gods or goddess of the pantheon. The angel could easily kill them all without breaking a sweat, however Hades didn't care. He was determined to kill Zeus for his sin against him and his wife.

With that, the archangel's light intensified briefly before he ascended back into the heavens, leaving Hades alone in the alley. The god of the underworld took a deep breath, steeling himself for the battles to come.

He stepped out onto the bustling streets, his presence unnoticed by the mortals around him. He moved with purpose, his mind already turning to the next steps in his plan. He needed allies, and he knew where to find them. There were beings in the shadows of this world, entities who would be eager to join his cause against Zeus.

As he walked, his thoughts turned to the gods who had chosen to remain neutral. Their refusal to act in the face of Zeus's tyranny only fueled his determination. He would show them the cost of their indifference.

Hades's vow echoed in his mind: anyone who stood in his way would face his wrath. He had lost too much, and the pain of Persephone's suffering drove him forward. The war against Zeus was not just a quest for vengeance; it was a fight for justice, for balance, and for the memory of those who had fallen.

The city's lights blurred as Hades moved through the streets, a dark figure with a singular purpose. The battle lines were drawn, and the war was inevitable. With the Lord's decree and Michael's warning guiding him, Hades prepared to unleash his fury upon those who dared to oppose him.

No more compromises. No more hesitation. The time for retribution had come, and Hades would stop at nothing to see Zeus fall.