𝓿𝓲𝓲𝓲. i'm too drained to hand you another defeat

OLIVE RELEASED A DEEP AND RESOUNDING SIGH AS she trudged her way into the common room. Every fiber of her body screamed in protest, her legs feeling as though they had been set ablaze, her hands throbbing in pain, her spine rigid as if it were locked at a right angle. Her usually well-kept hair was a wild, untamed mess. "Back from studying?" Dean's voice echoed from his spot at one of the tables. He and Neville were seated with their backs to her, while Seamus sat opposite them, their focus locked onto a demanding game of Poker.

A sudden burst of laughter erupted from Seamus as he glanced up, his gaze landing on Olive slowly making her way towards the group. "Holy Godric," he managed to gasp out between chuckles. "You look like the embodiment of death itself."

In response, Olive flashed him a sarcastic smile as she slid into a seat next to Neville, "Yeah, I feel pretty much the same." Olive grumbled, her voice heavy with exhaustion. She tossed her bag onto the floor and quickly shrugged off her robe, revealing her white button-up and deep red skirt underneath. "What game are you guys playing?" She inquired, leaning into Neville and sighing contentedly as his free hand began to softly stroke her hair. "That feels good."

"Poker." Seamus replied with a knowing smirk. "Care to join?"

Olive gently shook her head, "I think I'll just sit back and watch for now. I'm too drained to hand you another defeat." The three guys all scoffed in response, but they knew all too well that her words were true. Olive had an uncanny knack for Poker. When Seamus had first introduced her to the game, they had all assumed her wins were just beginner's luck. However, as the years rolled on, they had come to realize that she was simply unparalleled in her skill.

"So, I'm guessing your study session was productive?" Dean asked sarcastically, tossing a few Jelly Slugs into the betting pile. "I raise."

"I call," Neville countered, prompting Olive to glance at his cards. A straight flush. She couldn't help but smile as she watched her friends engrossed in their game of Poker. It was a pastime they all relished.

"I call," Seamus followed up, tossing a few Sugar Quills into the betting pile.

"Poker, eh?" The voice of Fred Weasley broke through the chattering third-years. "Mind if I join?"

"Not in the least," Dean responded, shaking his head. "But we're in the middle of a round right now."

"No problem," Fred gave a casual shrug and an easy smile. "I can wait." Olive and Fred watched with amusement and anticipation as the three guys continued their game, which eventually ended with Neville winning the round with his straight flush.

"You sure you don't want to join in, Liv?" Seamus questioned as he began to shuffle the deck for the next round.

"I think I'm going to find Lina and ask her to braid my hair," Olive responded with a soft smile. "But I'll join in the next round. I promise." The guys nodded, accepting her answer as Seamus began to deal out the cards for the next round.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Lina?" Olive gently knocked on the wooden door leading to the fifth-year girls' dormitory. She let out a sigh of relief as the comforting sound of a 'Come on in' flowed through the solid door, relieving the tension in her shoulders. "Hi, Lina," Olive muttered, a little shyly, as she stepped over the threshold and into the room.

"Hey, Liv." Angelina greeted her with a warm smile from her spot on the bed. She let out a soft, infectious laugh as she watched Olive unceremoniously flop onto her bed. "What brings you here?"

"My brain feels like it's about to explode." Olive groaned dramatically as she buried her face into one of Angelina's plush pillows. "Why are your pillows so much softer than mine?"

Angelina chuckled softly, a twinkle in her eye. "I honestly don't know, Liv."

"Well, I was wondering if you could braid my hair?" Olive sat up abruptly, turning to look at the older girl with hopeful eyes.

"My hands are exhausted, Liv." Angelina lied with a staged groan, holding up her hands as if to prove her point.

"Oh, okay." Olive nodded softly, a hint of disappointment in her voice as she laid back down.

"I'm only joking, Liv." Angelina shook her head, a soft smile playing on her lips. "Go grab my hairbrush, I'll fetch the hair ties." Olive sent Angelina a grateful smile before getting to her feet, making her way quickly to the bathroom. Angelina seemed to sense Olive's confusion as the young girl stared at the multitude of brushes that lay on the counter. "It's the orange one!"

"Thank you!" Olive called out, quickly grabbing the orange brush before making her way back to Angelina. She let out a content sigh as she sat on the floor, right between Angelina's legs. "You're an angel, Lina."

The older girl just shook her head with an amused smile as she started to gently brush through Olive's hair. "So, tell me what you've been up to lately."

"Where do I even start..." Angelina listened attentively as Olive began to chatter about everything and anything, from the ups and downs of her classes to the time Seamus accidentally ate an Acid Pop.

"Olive?" Angelina's voice was soft as she tied off Olive's braid. "Olive?" She repeated, a note of concern creeping into her voice. Then, the sound of soft, rhythmic snoring filled the room. Angelina gently adjusted Olive's head that was resting on her thigh, before rising to her feet and softly placing the girl's head back down, allowing it to rest against the comfort of her bed.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Hey, boys?" Angelina called out as she entered the main room of the common room.

"Yes?" Fred glanced back, missing the way Seamus quickly peaked at his cards.

"Olive's passed out cold," Angelina smiled softly. "Will one of you help me get her back to her room?" Fred nodded before standing up. "Thanks, Freddie."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Hey," came the soft voice of Fred, as he gently prodded Olive's shoulder. "Olive." He repeated her name, his voice a low murmur in the quiet room. When the first gentle shake did little to rouse her, the ginger-haired young man opted for a firmer approach, shaking the girl's shoulder with more force. This elicited a groan from Olive, who squirmed slightly, seeking to escape the disturbance.

With a quick glance towards Angelina, he instructed, "Can you go grab her things?" Angelina, understanding instantly, gave a nod of assent and quickly exited the room to fulfill the task.

"All right, come on, Liv," Fred whispered, his voice still gentle despite the urgency of the situation. He expertly looped one arm under Olive's legs, while his other arm found a place under her shoulders. With a swift, fluid motion, Fred hoisted the younger girl up, cradling her in his arms in a bridal carry. He then began to navigate his way out of the room, a soft smile gracing his features as Olive nestled her head comfortably under his chin.

"Awe," came the soft coo from Angelina, her eyes sparkling as she watched Fred carefully carry Olive to her room. A sudden idea seemed to strike her, "Wait, I need a picture of this!" she exclaimed quietly, careful not to disturb Olive's slumber. Without waiting for a response, Angelina hurried into Olive's dorm, hastily grabbing the girl's camera.

"Lina," Fred warned, his tone a mix of amusement and caution. "You're going to wake her."

Unfazed, Angelina waved her hand dismissively, "She'll fall right back asleep," she reassured him confidently. Holding the camera up, she quickly captured the moment with a click. Olive groaned in mild protest, nestling her head further into Fred's neck as Angelina lowered the camera. "See?" she stated, triumphant.

Fred simply rolled his eyes, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips as he continued on his way to Olive's dorm.