Chapter 13- need to focus

Eva's pov:
I was sitting at home, anxiously waiting. Leah was out, and I was trying to distract myself, but my mind kept drifting back to the possibility of an international call-up. Leah was a shoo-in, but for me, it felt like a long shot.

Suddenly, my phone rang. My heart skipped a beat as I saw the caller ID: the Spain manager. I took a deep breath and answered.

"Hola, Eva. This is the Spain national team manager," the voice on the other end said.

"Hola," I replied, my voice shaky.

"I have some exciting news for you. You've earned a spot in the squad," the manager announced.

For a moment, I was speechless. Then, pure excitement surged through me. "¡Gracias! Thank you so much!" I exclaimed, barely able to contain my joy.

After the call ended, I was still buzzing with excitement. Just then, Leah walked in the door, her presence filling the room with warmth.

"Leah, guess what?" I blurted out, my excitement spilling over.

"What is it?" Leah asked, her eyes lighting up.

"I got the call! I'm in the Spain squad!" I said, practically bouncing on the spot.

Leah's face broke into a massive smile, and she rushed over to me, pulling me into a tight hug. "I'm so proud of you, Eva! This is amazing news!" she said, her voice full of genuine happiness.

I hugged her back, feeling her pride and excitement matching my own. "I can't believe it," I whispered, still in shock.

"You deserve it," Leah said, pulling back to look at me, her eyes shining. "You've worked so hard for this."

"Thank you," I said, my heart swelling with gratitude and love. "I couldn't have done it without you."

The day of the international break:
The day had finally come. Leah and I were set to leave for international break, heading off to represent our respective countries. The excitement was tinged with a bit of sadness, knowing we'd be apart for a while. Leah had been so supportive through this whole journey, and I couldn't have asked for a better partner.

Leah drove me to the airport, her hand on mine the whole way. We didn't talk much; the silence was comfortable but filled with unspoken words and emotions. As we pulled up to the terminal, Leah turned to me, her eyes soft but full of pride.

"Ready?" she asked, her voice steady despite the underlying emotion.

I nodded, trying to keep my own emotions in check. "Ready as I'll ever be."

We got out of the car, and Leah helped me with my bags. Once everything was sorted, she pulled me into a tight hug. "I'm going to miss you," she whispered into my ear, her breath warm against my skin.

"I'll miss you too," I replied, my voice trembling slightly. "But I'll see you soon."

We shared a lingering kiss, one that held all our feelings in it. Then, with one last squeeze of my hand, Leah let me go. I took a deep breath and headed inside the airport, glancing back one more time to see her standing there, giving me a small, encouraging wave.

The flight was long, but I spent it going over tactics in my mind, thinking about the upcoming matches, and daydreaming about the incredible opportunity ahead. Before I knew it, we were descending into Spain, the familiar landscape filling me with a sense of homecoming.

As I walked through the terminal, I spotted my family waiting for me. Their faces lit up when they saw me, and I couldn't help but smile widely. My mother rushed forward, enveloping me in a hug, followed by my father and my siblings.

"Eva, we're so proud of you!" my mother said, tears in her eyes.

"Welcome home, superstar!" my brother teased, ruffling my hair.

I laughed, feeling a warmth spread through me. It was good to be home, and seeing my family's excitement reminded me why I worked so hard.

"Thanks, everyone," I said, hugging each of them in turn. "I've missed you all."

We made our way out of the airport, their chatter and laughter filling the air around us. Despite the bittersweet goodbye with Leah, I felt ready to take on the challenges ahead, knowing I had the support of my loved ones cheering me on from afar.

I was in my room, studying the schedule for the upcoming fixtures, when my eyes landed on a date that made my heart skip a beat. Spain vs. England. That meant me vs. Leah. I knew this was going to be tough, but I had to stay focused. This was my moment to shine for Spain, and I couldn't let any distractions, not even Leah, interfere.

Game day arrived, and I reminded myself over and over not to get distracted. As we were warming up, I saw Leah approaching me. I braced myself, trying to maintain my focus.

"Hey, Eva," Leah said softly, but I kept my responses short and cold. I couldn't afford to let my emotions get in the way.

When we lined up in the tunnel, ready to walk out onto the pitch, Leah tried again. "Eva, what's going on? Why are you being like this?"

I ignored her, staring straight ahead. Ona Batlle, standing next to me, leaned in and asked in Spanish, "¿Por qué te está hablando, Eva?"

"No sé," I replied, keeping my voice low so Leah couldn't understand. Leah looked hurt, but I couldn't let that affect me. This was bigger than our relationship.

As we stepped onto the pitch, the tension between us was palpable. During the handshakes, Leah reached me but didn't shake my hand. I shot her a confused look, but I pushed it aside. I had to stay in the zone.

The game started, and Leah was playing aggressively, more so than usual. She kept targeting me, her tackles harder, her presence more imposing. My anger was building with every challenge she threw my way.

In the second half, it reached a boiling point. Leah slid in with a late challenge, sending me flying to the ground. Pain shot through my leg, but my anger was stronger. I got up quickly and, seeing her walk away, I pushed her in the back.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I shouted in English, making sure she understood.

Leah turned around, her eyes blazing. "What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you?" she fired back, pushing me in return. Before it could escalate further, players from both teams intervened, pulling us apart.

"Fucking bitch," I spat in Spanish, knowing she wouldn't understand but needing to vent my frustration.

The referee stepped in, warning us both, but the damage was done. The anger and frustration lingered as the game continued, but I couldn't afford to let it break me. I had to stay focused, even if my heart was breaking a little more with every minute that passed.

The match was nearing its end, and we were still deadlocked. My heart was pounding, my legs heavy, but I kept pushing. Then, in the final minute of normal time, England scored. I watched in horror as the ball hit the back of the net, and the England team erupted in celebration. My legs gave out, and I dropped to my knees, despair washing over me.

But this wasn't the end. I needed to prove myself to this team, to our supporters. I couldn't let this moment define me. With a deep breath, I got up and placed the ball on the center circle, ready for kick-off again. The official's board went up, signaling five additional minutes. Five minutes to change everything.

As the first minute of added time started, I found myself one-on-one with Leah. There was no room for hesitation, no room for sentimentality. I focused on the ball, showing no sympathy as I turned past Leah with ease. Now, it was just me and the goal.

I took my shot, and the ball sailed into the net. The roar from the Spain fans was deafening as I slid towards the corner flag, screaming "¡VAMOS!" at the top of my lungs. My teammates came running over, piling on top of me in celebration.

Amid the chaos, I glanced back at Leah. Her face was a mix of disappointment and something deeper, something more personal. I couldn't dwell on it, though. This was my moment, our moment. The Spain fans continued to cheer as we regrouped, ready to see out the remaining minutes with newfound determination.