34- surprise

Three years had passed in the blink of an eye. Dylan was now an energetic, curious toddler, always on the move and full of questions. Our family had grown and changed in so many wonderful ways, and now, as our fifth anniversary approached along with Dylan's third birthday, I found myself filled with excitement and anticipation.

For weeks, I'd been secretly planning a special surprise for Leah. I wanted to do something truly memorable, something that would celebrate both our love and the joy that Dylan had brought into our lives. My idea was to take us to Disneyland Paris, a place I knew would be magical for both Leah and Dylan. But organizing this behind Leah's back was no easy feat.

Leah had started noticing my frequent absences and secretive behavior. One evening, as I was sneaking back into the house after a phone call with the travel agent, she confronted me.

"Eva," she said, her tone a mix of curiosity and concern, "you've been so busy lately. What's going on? Are you okay?"

I hesitated, not wanting to spoil the surprise but also hating to lie to her. "I'm fine, Leah. Really. I can't tell you right now, but I promise it's something good."

Leah's eyes narrowed slightly. "Something good? Eva, you're worrying me. Just tell me."

Taking a deep breath, I decided to give her a hint. "It's a surprise, Leah. For our anniversary and Dylan's birthday. Trust me, you'll love it."

She relaxed a little, her expression softening. "Okay, I'll trust you. But no more secrets after this, okay?"

I nodded, relieved. "I promise."

The days flew by, and before I knew it, the big day had arrived. I'd spent the previous night setting up a scavenger hunt for Leah, each clue carefully crafted to lead her to the final surprise. I woke up early, my heart pounding with excitement, and slipped the first clue under her pillow.

Leah woke up to find the small envelope, her curiosity piqued. She opened it, reading the first clue with a smile spreading across her face. "A scavenger hunt? Really, Eva?"

I grinned, kissing her on the forehead. "Really. Now go find the next clue."

The hunt took Leah all around the house, each clue more cryptic and fun than the last. Dylan followed her around, giggling and clapping his hands, caught up in the excitement.

"Okay, what's this one?" Leah said, reading the penultimate clue. "'Where dreams come true, and magic is real, find your final clue where Dylan loves to play.' Hmm..."

She looked at me, a playful suspicion in her eyes. I just shrugged, trying to keep a straight face.

Leah headed to Dylan's playroom, and there, taped to his favorite toy car, was the last clue. Her fingers trembled slightly as she opened it.

"'Pack your bags and hold on tight, for tomorrow we leave on a magical flight,'" she read aloud, her eyes widening. She turned to me, excitement and disbelief mingling on her face. "Eva, what is this?"

I handed her the final envelope, this one containing the tickets to Disneyland Paris. "Happy anniversary, Leah. And happy birthday to our little man."

Tears welled up in Leah's eyes as she looked at the tickets. "Eva, this is... I can't believe it. This is amazing!"

I hugged her tightly, feeling a wave of relief and joy. "I wanted to do something special for us. Something we can all enjoy together."

Leah kissed me, her eyes shining. "I love you so much. This is perfect."

The next day, we packed our bags, full of anticipation for the trip ahead. Dylan was thrilled, babbling excitedly about meeting Mickey Mouse and riding the rides. As we boarded the plane, I felt a sense of accomplishment and happiness. I knew this trip would be unforgettable for all of us.