𝟏. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬

In a world where humans rule most of the land, there exists a place that is hidden from their power and influence. Secluded in nature, surrounded by protective mountains, such a vast and diverse land where there are other types of beings that humanity cannot touch.

Shifters we call ourselves, born from the wandering spirits that inhabited those lands and gave two forms and characteristics to our ancestors, making us unique among those who inhabit this world.

We possess the abilities and virtues of animals and the capacity and rationality of human beings. We can change our shape. We have existed for a long time and have survived all ages up to the present. We have no nationality, but we are divided into clans, although only some stand out from the rest for their power and attributes that represent the spirits from which they were created.

Peace has never been stable. We have had wars, like men, fought for our territories, like animals. But just like the destruction of villages and towns in the past, we have reached a truce.

Some would dare to call it a union, but we still have a long way to go to really unify all the species and especially the clans that represent the rest and have earned prestige among the others.

Only the chief family of each clan governs and represents with its attributes the great territory that we call Lilili-Yabbay.

They are the ones who bring peace to the species, who reached an agreement after the Great War, to protect us from the dangers of the outside. But that is only a summary of our long history that cannot be told in such few paragraphs.

That life of peace that cost us so much to live, will finally be acclaimed by the youth of the new generation, firstborn sons of the families that represent the clans.

The 13 Clans.

[ ... ]

He stretched out his left leg, pressing his chest against it with great flexibility, holding onto his foot as he flexed and stretched it. He was on the ground, with both legs spread wide; Next to him, his friend with his legs stretched out in front of him and was also holding onto his feet without showing much effort, sticking his chest almost completely to his knees.

"Hey, Haohao, ready for the race?" he asked with a voice forced by the stretch he was performing.

The sun was beating down on the large running track. The stands were full of students for the annual race of the sporting events that were carried out as a harmonious competition between the students of different years of that high school.

"I'm always ready to run, there's nothing I know how to do better," Minghao replied, moving to his other leg, stretching his arm over his head.

His best friend, Junhui, looked around at the rest of the competitors in that first race that would be the opening of the Sports Festival. Shifters were very fond of such events and competing in their human forms was only fair.

However, in that race only 13 students would compete, as it was special, as well as its participants.

"You've got the first place guaranteed, Haohao," Junhui said, looking over his shoulder behind, where he saw another couple of friends also stretching out not far away, getting ready for the race.

He paid attention especially to the boy who took off his glasses and put them safely in their case, the one who chatted in the distance with the other young man who accompanied him.

"Forget it, Gyu, no one can beat him, not even me running at my full speed," he said, shaking his head and smiling. "We are both from the Track and Field Club and believe me when Xu runs, he runs."