Chapter Two: Azriel

Selene and I's bout earlier confused me.

Are you jealous?

Maybe.

Since when did it matter to her that I spent time checking on Elain and Nesta? They're Feyre's sisters. I couldn't do most of my spy work because Rhys told me to stay home for a while, so I could heal. The only thing I could do is keep an eye on Elain and Nesta and train.

***

It was some hours into the night that I stumbled back to our shared bedroom. Selene was sleeping at her desk, head laid on her arm. I gently shook her awake.

"Hmm," she groaned.

"Come, my moon," I murmured. "You need to get in bed."

She stood sleepily, swaying as she walked to the bed. She merely collapsed head first into the pillow. I smiled to myself and changed her into a silk slip. I changed myself, taking off my shirt and changing my pants. I don't sleep with a shirt simply because I don't like sleeping with a shirt.

I slipped into the covers next to Selene, pulling the blanket over both of us. She huddled closer to me, burying her head in my chest. I felt a sharp pang in my chest. I hated that she felt like I didn't care about her anymore. Because I did care.

I loved her with everything in me. I've been preoccupied with Elain because she refused to do pretty much anything and I'm worried about her, if only for Feyre's sake. I knew, despite everything, Feyre cared about her sisters. As Rhysand's brother, through my mating with his sister, I have to protect Feyre and hers.

It's strange to think Selene - cocky, blunt, confident Selene - was jealous of Elain. I don't think she realized that Elain is too much like me - quiet, preferring to be alone.

I didn't want someone who was similar to me. I wanted someone who was my opposite. Someone who wasn't afraid to speak their mind, someone who loved being surrounded by people they care about. Selene was that. She was everything.

I pushed a stray strand of hair out of her face. She nuzzled me again, humming.

I wondered if she knew the lengths I would go to to protect her.