Chapter Twenty Five: Azriel

There was a great deal of work to do after the war.

For one, rebuilding homes previously destroyed by Hybern. The attack on Velaris left many without homes. Hybern had sent the Attor and hundreds of other Attor-like creatures into Velaris after the human queens betrayed the location of the city.

Selene had been helping rebuild and giving aid for those who needed it. She built a temporary shelter for those in need. She worked until Solstice, when the citizens of Velaris had to literally tell her to go home and rest.

It was funny when she came back all flustered and disappointed. I smiled a little to myself, which caused her to throw a pillow at me.

"Stop laughing at me asshole," she scowled.

"I can't believe you were basically told to fuck off by your own citizens," I laughed.

"You're so rude," she scoffed, turning away.

Feyre and Cassian, who had already been drinking, passed her the bottle.

"You clearly need this," Cassian laughed.

Selene grudgingly took the bottle and drank deeply. She sighed.

"I feel lazy sitting here while people are in need of homes," she said. "I only wanted to help."

"I feel the same," Feyre said, taking Selene's free hand and squeezing it. "But we've earned a bit of respite, haven't we?"

"I suppose you're right," Selene sighed. "We do deserve some respite after everything." And then she muttered, "I miss Ryoko."

Ryoko, her female dragon, had been killed in in the war. Falkor and Ares tried to stop it and ended up badly injured. Selene, Ares, and Falkor haven't been the same since. I think they all blamed themselves, although it was hard to tell with Ares and Falkor given that one's a dragon and the other is a wyvern.

"I should've tried to save her," I said. "I should've stayed back to make sure they weren't injured."

"It's not your fault, Az. I should've kept an eye out," Selene whispered. "It should've been a priority."

"Cauldron, it's Solstice and you're on the brink of tears," Cassian said. "It's supposed to be a happy day. Cheer up."

Selene rolled her eyes but she was smiling, too. It was better than nothing.