2- A New Pal

It took 20 hours and 16 minutes just for the drive, minus the pit stops for gas and sometimes food. I only made 4 gas trips, but honestly only stopped for food a couple of times because my head was too full of thoughts to be hungry.

When I got to Tulsa I was relieved. I was so tired but what I wanted more was something to drink. I kept driving for a while through the city and eventually found a small bar looking place in a dingy looking neighborhood. When I parked the car I could see red light coming from inside and loud music escaping. That's how you know it was a good place.

I got out of the car and stretched my back, let me tell you driving that long makes your ass sore as hell.

I tried opening the door but it was locked, so I knocked instead. An annoyed looking man with a scruff on his face answered the door. "You are?" He asked in an annoyed tone. "Oh, I thought this was a bar sir sorry." I responded while starting to turn around. "Well wait, you're new around here huh? Maybe you need a place to stay? I see some baggage in your car there. You can rent a room here from me, and also get drinks whenever you want?" He said trying to intrigue me.

I turned back around. "How much to rent?"
I asked tiredly. "10 a month. And like I said, free drinks." He responded. I still had 80 dollars, so I pulled out 30 and handed it to him. "Here's 3 months. Thanks." I said as he took the money and opened the door.

I followed him inside as he guided me to the bar, walking past a bunch of older people that were dancing, drinking, or playing pool. He took me to the bar where I sat down on a stool, but was painfully reminded that my ass was still sore from driving, so I opted to stand and lean on the bar counter for support.

The man went behind the bar and asked what I wanted to drink, to which I told him I just wanted a beer. "Name's Buck Merrill. Usually I don't just offer up my rooms like that but you reminded me a lot of another kid I rent out too. You look awful young for being new to town by yourself y'know. How old are ya?" He asked curiously while handing me my beer.

I used my teeth to rip off the bottle cap. "I'm 16, only by 2 months though. My names Jaqueline, but I go by Jackie. And I didn't really have a choice to come here." I responded. He just nodded. "Well when you decide to head to bed, your room is around that corner back there, up the stairs and to the right. If you need somethin' I'll be down here." He pointed to the back right wall.

"Thanks Buck. Appreciate it, really." I gave him a smile before downing half of my beer. If I was drunk I wouldn't be sad about leaving New York anymore, and I hated feeling sad. I honestly hated feeling anything that was considered a big emotion. It took to much energy and work.

I was 5 beers in, I think, I honestly couldn't remember what number the one in my hand was. I took another swig from the bottle when an elbow leaned against the bar next to me. I looked up and to the right of me to see a young face with dark eyes and big eyebrows smirking at me. "Look man I don't want any trouble alright?" I said while looking back down.

"Well that's a New York accent if I've ever heard one. What're ya doing in a place like this doll?" The boy replied with a familiar accent. He also happened to have a New York accent. How ironic.

"That ain't none of your business." I responded while I finished my beer and waved Buck down for another. The dude couldn't take a hint and still stood there while I popped the cap off with my teeth again.

"Hm, yous look experienced with that huh? Maybe there's somethin' else your experienced with baby.." He said while putting his hand around my waist. I threw his hand off of me and splashed the rest of my beer on him. "You're disgusting." I said, but not loudly. I didn't want to make a scene. I walked away and followed Buck's directions to my room, but I could still feel the guys eyes on me the entire way.