13- Shadows

~2 days later~

I sat on the couch at the Curtis house with my jacket laying over me like a blanket. I haven't seen Dallas since the morning I locked myself in my room after we slept together.

I didn't tell anyone, so they were a little worried that they haven't heard anything from him. I was honestly a little worried too.

As I sat on the couch next to Ponyboy and Johnny my eyes started to get heavy. I didn't want to be a bother and fall asleep there.

"Thanks for dinner Darry, it was great. I'm gonna head out now okay? Thanks again." I said while walking out the door. Darry stood up. "Hey wait, you can sleep here if you want, it's already dark out I don't want you walkin' alone."

I gave a small smile. "Thanks Dare, but I'll be okay, I'll call if I need anything."

He smiled at me as I walked down the porch. I started walking to Buck's, I preferred the walking over driving, it was more peaceful. I was also less paranoid about someone from New York finding me so I just assumed it was safe.

I saw a gas station on the way and decided I was thirsty so I headed in and bought a beer for the walk home. When I walked out, I happened to look over at a busted street light and saw a tall man-shaped shadow lurking against it.

"Dally? Is that you? You wanna talk?" I asked as I stood a little bit away from the shadow. There was no response. "Hello? Who are you?" I asked again and taking a swig from the beer bottle.

The shadow started to very slowly walk forward. I wasn't getting very good vibes from this. I chugged what I could of my beer quickly and busted the bottom of the bottle off. I pointed the broken bottle neck towards the shadow while backing up.

"I ain't afraid to use this I'm warning you." I shouted. The shadow was still walking toward me slowly. I bolted.

I ran as fast as I could, I could tell the man wasnt running behind me because I would hear him, but then again, I wasn't going to take any chances and slow down. I ran the rest of the way to Buck's.

When I got there I slammed the door and locked it, completely out of breath. I started to cry as the anxiety took over. Buck came over with a confused look on his face.

"What happened, some socs scare you?" He asked inquisitively. "Nah man, someone was following me. Just spooked me is all." I answered through heavy breaths.

I went to the phone and dialed the number for the Curtis house.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~Sodapop~

I had Steve pinned to the floor since he wanted to say my muscles didn't do anything. Man I proved him wrong.

The phone started to ring. Made Johnny jump a little from the sudden sound. I knew it had to be important if someone was called at nearly 10:30 at night.

I stood up and answered the phone. "Sodapop Curtis." I spoke quickly only to be met with heavy breathing and the sound of a girl trying not to cry. "Jackie? Is that you? What's wrong?" I asked into the phone concerned.

"Soda, someone's following me. I saw a shadow outside of the gas station on the way to Buck's" She paused to take a deep breath. "I, I thought it was Dal because, nevermind, I just thought it was him, but this dude didn't answer and he started to walk to me and get closer so I just ran. I'm scared Soda. I'm at Buck's now, but I'm just scared and I, didn't know who else to call I'm sorry." She said with a small sob at the end.

I had never seen this side of Jackie before. She was tuff like Dally, almost as cold as him even. She was more caring than him obviously but she still never ever showed her feelings like this to anyone. She was one of my best buds, so I didn't want to upset her more or let her down.

"Hey, cmon Jackie, just, just calm down alright? I'll be over there in a few minutes okay? Just go to your room and lock the door. I'll be there soon." I answered and hung up the phone.

The boys all looked at me with concern as I put a flannel shirt on over my white T-shirt. "Some asshole spooked Jackie, I'm goin over there to calm her down." I said towards Darry, and he nodded his head as I left the house. I ran to Buck's so I didn't keep her waiting.