Chapter 80

This Tuesday sucks.

I thought going back to work would help keep my mind occupied but maybe I should have listened to April when she tried to convince me to stay home today. She tried to tell Cal too but he insisted on going to the garage to work, and when he headed outside to go to his car I took the opportunity to catch a ride. April watched us drive away from the porch with a small scowl on her face, causing Cal to chuckle while he looked back at her in the rearview mirror.

"Are you laughing at your angry wife?" I asked with a raised eyebrow, to which he replied, "Nah, I'm laughing at you also being a target of her glare this morning. Thanks for taking some of the heat off me."

His answer had me joining in with his amusement but as if on cue, both of our grins dissipated and we fell silent.

"It's not too late to call in, Em. I can bring you back home?" Cal offered, but I shook my head.

"No, I would rather go in. If you want to go home, you don't need to drive me though?"

He shook his head too. "I have to go in. Staying home would... I need to work."

I nodded in agreement. There were many things I thought I should talk to him about, mainly his cryptic commentary last night when he thought I was already asleep, but I wasn't sure how to bring it up, nor did I have the energy to do it.

We continued the rest of the drive in silence until we arrived at Heidi's. As I turned to get out of the car, Cal lightly gripped my arm. "Call me or April if you change your mind, okay? Don't force yourself to be here if it becomes too much."

I agreed because I knew he wouldn't let me get out of the car until I did, but I had no intention of following through with the agreement. I was determined to get through my day.

I'm still determined. Even with fucking Megan in my serving section.

"Oh, Emilia?" she tries to get my attention as I walk past her table to head back to the kitchen.

"I'm sure your salad is almost ready," I reply without looking at her, but I do slow my steps just in case she needs something else. I may not like Megan but I do like my job and I don't want to get fired for being rude to a customer.

"That's not what I was going to ask," she explains, much to my disappointment. I guess I have to look at her now.

"What then?" My voice comes out with more bite than I intended so I quickly force a smile and add, "Is there something else I can help you with?"

Megan returns my smile but then she seems to hesitate. She nervously fiddles with a sugar packet on the table before saying, "I'm having a small get-together in two weeks. It's just a little something for my birthday. Well, not even for my birthday really since that's already passed, I'm just using that as a reason to get together. It'll be the Saturday after this coming one. I was wondering if you'd like to come?"

No. "Um... I'll think about it, okay?"

"Okay, yeah. Okay." She seems surprised and flustered by my answer.

As I continue to the back, Ruthie, the other waitress working today, falls in step behind me. "Wow, you almost sounded friendly to the poor woman," she comments in her bossy, know-it-all tone.

I force myself to keep my mouth closed while I walk towards Heidi but Ruthie doesn't catch the hint and follows after me.

"Do you remember that time I thought you were Megan?" she asks me while I wait for Heidi to put the finishing touches on Megan's salad.

"Ruthie..." Heidi warns in a low voice.

"I don't see how," I reply. "We don't look anything alike."

"It was just because you were with Theo, and I was used to seeing Theo with Megan," Ruthie explains.