Chapter 4

Hot shot has been in the hospital for a few weeks. He was busy getting tests done to make sure he was ready to begin treatment for his brain tumor. Hot shot was going to be very brave for it. Hot shot was being seen bye Dr. Lopez. 

Dr. Lopez is a radiation oncologist. He was going to help Hot shot with radiation treatment. It was going to help make his cancer go away. 

Hot shot was a bit nervous and worried about starting radiation therapy. Right now he was just getting ready for it and that was making him nervous. He was wondering about it.

"Okay Hot shot you seem to be okay," Dr. Lopez said. "You are going to have your simulation scan today along with making your mask," he said.

"What is a simulation scan?' Hot shot asked.

"This scan is to help us plan for your radiation treatment," Dr. Lopez said. "it will help us decide what kind of radiation you are going to need, where you are going to need it, and how long you are going to need it," he said. 

"How many kinds of radiation are used for radiation treatment?' Hot shot asked.

"X-ray, gamma ray, electron, and proton beam," Dr. Lopez said. "Most people with brain tumors get X-ray, or gamma ray, or proton beam," he said. "Once we do the scan, we will decide which one will work best for you," he said. "Some types of radiation therapy we offer here at Cook children's and other types we don't," he said. "If you have a type not offered here at Cook children's hospital, you will go to another hospital or a radiation therapy center nearby that does offer it and your mask gets sent to the center or hospital where you will get the radiation," he said.

"Why do I need a mask?" Hot shot asked.

"Because it will help keep your head still so only your tumor is zapped and nothing else," Dr. Lopez said.

"How much of my brain gets the radiation?" Hot shot said.

"It depends on the type of tumor it is, and whether or not is has spread," Dr. Lopez said. "Since your tumor has spread you will need radiation to the whole brain most likely," he said. 

"Oh okay," Hot shot said. 

"Radiation therapy will help make your tumor get smaller," Dr. Lopez said. "On the last day of treatment you will get to take your mask home with you," he said.

"Do I have to stay in the hospital while getting radiation therapy or can I go home afterwards?" Hot shot asked.

"Some patients have radiation therapy as an inpatient while staying in the hospital for a while, while others have it as an outpatient treatment, and some have a few days of radiation that are in patient and other days that are outpatient," Dr. Lopez said. "It depends on a lot of things, mainly it is what me and the rest of your care team decide on what is best for you," he said. 

"Do I get radiation everyday?" Hot shot said.

"Yes except on the weekends," Dr. Lopez said. "On the weekends you can rest," he said.

Hot shot was soon in the imaging center to get his mask made and to get his simulation scan pictures taken. 

Hot shot watched the video about radiation from the imaginary friend society. Hot shot learned the radiation therapy is painless and invisible. Each treatment can take a few minutes. He will have on treatment a day, five days a week, anywhere from 2 to 7 weeks. Hot shot also learned he might feel weak, tired and his tummy might hurt. He might also lose his appetite. He learned he will lose his hair during radiation, but his hair will grow back once it ends. But he can mix up his style when he does lose his hair. Hot shot felt better after watching the video.

Hot shot met other kids who were there for a scan. Hot shot saw his friends were there too. They were all getting masks made like him. Hot shot and his friends met other kids who also had cancer who were getting scans. Some of them were already in radiation treatment and other treatments and getting pictures taken to make sure everything was okay.

Some of the kids were scans for their simulation too.

They discovered some kids had masks that were already made. Other kids they found out had cushions made. Some even had casts made. An older kids said to them all these things can help keep a patient still during radiation therapy.

Hot shot was wondering what it was going to be like to make his mask. Then a nurse came in. "Hot shot," the nurse said. It was now Hot shot's turn. 

Hot shot met a radiographer named Jessie and a mold room tech named Walter. "Hello Hot shot are you ready to make your mask?" Walter asked.

"Is it going to hurt?' Hot shot asked.

"No not at all," Walter said. "It is made with special plastic mesh that is made soft with warm water and stretched over your face," he said. "it will feel a lot like a soft wet towel," he said. "After about 15 minutes the plastic will harden and will look just like you," he said. "I can even paint your mask if you want," he said.

"Cool," Hot shot said. "can you make mine look like Pikachu?" he asked.

"Of course I can," Walter said.

Then Hot shot laid down on the table. Hot shot heard Walter dip the plastic in the water. Then he took the mask material and stretched it over Hot shot's face. Then buttoned it down. Hot shot stayed very still as the mask was being made. Then about 15 minutes the mask was dry and hard. Then Walter removed the mask and showed it to Hot shot.

"It looks like me," Hot shot said.

"It sure does," Walter said. 

Hot shot was happy about this. 

"Hot shot before your radiation therapy you might also get drawn on with a marker or get a little tattoo that looks like a tiny freckle with a needle in the spot or spots where you need the radiation therapy." Jessie said. "The markings are important the marks made by markers wash off but the tattoo is permanent but you won't be able to see it once your hair grows back," she said.

"Will getting the tattoo hurt?" Hot shot asked.

"No, it is a quick little pinprick and then it is over," Jessie said. "Some kids need more than one marker mark or tattoo, we will decide what to do," she said. "We will make the mark or marks on your skin after your scan, we might shave part of your hair of in order to make the marks," she said. "We will also make markers on your mask too if needed," she explained.

"Oh okay," Hot shot said. 

Hot shot then got his scan done. Now the doctors, and scientists are going to look at his scans and decide on what kind of radiation Hot shot was going to need, where and how long he was going to need it too. 

Hot shot was soon had his lunch in the food court. Then after that he went back to his room. Hot shot was soon going to find out when he was going to start radiation treatment. 

"Hot shot you are going to start radiation two weeks from now in Mid August, your treatment will end in early October at the end of seven weeks, and six weeks after that in December you will start chemotherapy." Dr. Zhao said.

"Oh okay," Hot shot said. Hot shot was now able to know how long he was going to have radiation therapy and how long he was going to have to wait before starting chemo. Hot shot was ready to be brave and fight his cancer and begin treatment.