Chapter 15

Hot shot was coming to the hospital today. Today he had to get a lumbar puncture, along with an MRI and a check up. Today was just some tests. Hot shot was having a rest break from chemotherapy for this week. Hot shot was at school at the moment. He was socializing with some of the kids in his class.

"Hot shot you need to leave your parents are here to pick you up early for one of your doctor's appointments," Ms. Sunrae his teacher said.

"Okay," Hot shot said. Hot shot grabbed his things and then left.

Once at the hospital Hot shot made it to the part of the hospital where he was going to get his lumbar puncture. Hot shot went into a little room and was laying down on his side. His shirt was lifted up too. 

Then a nurse cleaned up the area and stuck a needle into his back. Then removed some of the fluid from it. Hot shot stayed nice and still for it. Hot shot didn't like it when it happened. But he wasn't as scared as he was at first. He was actually kind of used to it already. Hot shot was hoping things were going to be okay.

Then Hot shot went to the imaging center. Hot shot was waiting his turn to go get his MRI. Then Hot shot's turn came. Hot shot chose a movie to watch while getting his MRI. Hot shot focused on the movie and stayed very, very still. Hot shot was done with it in 30 minutes. Hot shot was glad it was done. Even though the MRI didn't hurt it could be boring. 

Then Hot shot was taken to the oncology clinic. Hot shot saw there were a lot of kids there. They were all waiting to be seen. Hot shot soon got to see Dr. Zhao. "Hot shot's treatment is going very well," Dr. Zhao said. "he will still need treatment for a while, but things are so far so good," she said. "We just have to be patient with how things are going," she said. 

"Thank you Dr. Zhao," Quickshadow said.

"See you later Dr. Zhao," Hot shot said when they left.

"See you later Hot shot," Dr. Zhao said.

Hot shot went to lunch with his mother after that. Hot shot was happy to have his lunch. Hot shot was happy they could have moments where they could just relax or have fun still.

Today his grandmum and granddad came from England to help out for a while. "There is our brave little grandson," Grandmum said. "How are you doing?" she asked.

"I'm feeling pretty good today," Hot shot answered.

"That is great," Granddad said. "We brought a few things for you and your parents," he said.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

Hot shot was got a new stuffed animal of a hippo and a new coloring book. Heatwave and Quickshadow were given a book about how to cope with a child's brain tumor diagnosis and gave them some of their favorite treats. 

Hot shot was very happy his grandparents were there. Hot shot still had a very busy schedule during treatment. 

His grandmum and granddad would take him out to do things along with his parents. Quickshadow agreed to this too, because she thought it was a good idea. "Right now Hot shot needs to be a kid as much as possible, especially during treatment," Quickshadow said. 

Hot shot only went to these public places if he was feeling good. He sometimes had to wear a mask to be on the safe side. They went to the zoo and Hot shot got to see many animals. They got to go other fun places too. 

Hot shot still had treatment some days and needed to rest, but he was still able to have fun. Hot shot was able to have a lot of fun at home during those days. 

Hot shot got to see other family members that came in. Hot shot was happy to be able to spend time with his family. It has been kind of hard to do so since his diagnosis and treatment. It made him very happy to be able to do so because he loved them.

Hot shot also got to see his friends still. They still got to spend time together during treatment and have a lot of fun together at the hospital. They even got together times outside of treatment and school. They were all able to have fun together and be kids.

Hot shot still had a very busy schedule. Hot shot also still felt sick and tired from his treatment. Today he got something called an NG tube because he was having trouble eating. It is a feeding tube that goes up his nose and down into his stomach.

Hot shot coughed when it got put in. It also felt a bit strange too. Hot shot was happy to be able to choose a special sticker to keep it in place on his cheek. Part of it could be put behind his ear to keep it out of the way when not in use. 

Hot shot found it to be strange at first. "I have tubes coming out of my body a lot right now," Hot shot said after getting it. 

"Don't worry you will get used to it and won't even notice it soon," Dr. West said with a laugh.

Dr. West was right too, close to bed time that day, Hot shot didn't pay much mind to the NG tube. He was going about his normal business.

A couple of days later at home, Hot shot wasn't feeling too good. Hot shot had to be taken to the hospital to stay there for a while. Hot shot's father grabbed the bag and Hot shot grabbed Roxy. Then they headed to Cook Children's hospital. 

Hot shot and his father were checked into the hospital soon after getting there. Hot shot was able to get his room. But he had a slight fever so he had to stay in isolation which meant no one but hospital staff and his parents were allowed in and he wasn't allowed to leave the room. Hot shot wasn't too happy about that at all. 

Hot shot knew it was for the best and he was going to be very brave through it all too.