Chapter 6

Hot shot woke up in the morning and saw his mother come in. "Mummy!" Hot shot said. 

"Hello Quickshadow," Heatwave said. "Good to see you darling," he said. Then they kissed each other. 

"I am happy to see you too," Quickshadow said. "I am here for my shift with Hot shot," she said. "I know you have to go to work soon," she said.

"Yes I do," Heatwave said. "Hot shot I will be back on Wednesday alright?" he said.

"Alright," Hot shot said. 

Heatwave kissed Hot shot's head and then left. Hot shot waved good bye to his father. 

Hot shot still had a lot of tests and stuff to do here in the hospital. Hot shot was very busy with all the tests and check ups. Hot shot was going to start radiation therapy next week. Hot shot was a kind of nervous about it.

Soon the first day of treatment came. It was a Monday and Hot shot was very nervous about it. He was kind of nervous because it was his first time doing it. Hot shot was taken to the part of the hospital where the radiation therapy happens. Hot shot was ready to be brave. 

Hot shot saw his friends were there too. Hot shot was ready to be very brave too. Hot shot was holding on to Roxy the rhino. Hot shot was very nervous about what might happen and such. He knew it wasn't going to hurt. But he was still kind of nervous about it.

Hot shot saw a nurse come into the room. "Hot shot," the nurse said. It was now Hot shot's turned. Hot shot followed the nurse back so he could get his first radiation treatment.

Hot shot was kind of nervous about it but he was ready to be brave for it. Hot shot got to meet one of the radiographers. They would be the ones who would be giving Hot shot his radiation treatments. 

"Every time you come here we will have to ask for your name and where you are getting radiation for safety reasons," the radiographer named Caleb said.

"My name is Hot shot and I am getting it to my head," Hot shot said.

"Very good," Caleb said.

Then Hot shot followed Caleb to another room. Hot shot changed into a hospital gown. Then he climbed up onto a table that was near this big machine. Then Hot shot laid down. "Hot shot are you ready for your special mask?" Caleb asked.

"Yes," Hot shot said. Then the radiographer found Hot shot's mask and then snapped it into place over Hot shot's head. The mask had holds for his eyes and mouth. That way Hot shot could see and talk. Then the bed was moved into the right position. Then the radiation machine began to move. 

"Okay we are in the right position," Caleb said. "The machine might change position a couple of times so we are sure we got the tumor and any part that may have spread," he said. "You need to keep still for it okay?" he asked.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

"I will leave the room so you will be alone for a while," Caleb said. "You want to listen to music or hear stories as you are getting radiation?" he asked.

"Do you have Pokemon music?" Hot shot asked.

"Sure do I can set up that playlist easily," Caleb said.

Then Caleb left the room. Then the machine started up and it was whirring. The music was also starting to play. Hot shot was staying very still during the treatment. Hot shot heard the machine move a few times. Then after about 20 minutes the machine stopped as did the music. "Okay Hot shot you are all done for today," Caleb said. 

Then Caleb came into the room and took of Hot shot's mask. "You did very well," Caleb told him.

"Thanks," Hot shot said. "That wasn't so bad at all," he said. "I didn't feel thing," he said. 

"It is a very painless thing that happens," Caleb said.

Hot shot was happy that the radiation treatment was over for the day. Hot shot was able to return to his room and rest. Hot shot was able to play with his toys and eat. Hot shot was glad that the first treatment was a snap.

"I have to go back to radiation therapy tomorrow right?' Hot shot asked.

"Yes," Quickshadow said. "You will have to do it for seven weeks," she said.

"Seven weeks?' Hot shot asked.

"Yes, and then after resting until the start of December you will then start chemotherapy in December," Quickshadow said.

"Will I be able to go to Kindergarten when I start it?" Hot shot asked.

"Most likely you can go but only for part time," Quickshadow said. "Most of the kids might not know what is going on with you," she said. "Also the teachers and workers at the school will need to help plan out accommodations and to help you learn," she said. "Like if you decide to wear a hat or a wig to cover your hair loss or chose to go with just you head completely uncovered you should be allowed to and not be made by the teachers to do something different," she said. "Some of the kids won't understand what is going on and may ask and say something that may sound mean, but many are trying not to be mean, they just don't understand what is going on," she said. "For those who are being mean about it tell a teacher or the principal they want to help," she said. 

"Okay," Hot shot said. Hot shot was looking forward to starting school when it does start. Hot shot was going to be let out of the of Hospital about week before school starts so his parents had been helping him to get ready for it. They already called the school and explained everything. Hot shot's first few weeks he is going to be leaving about two and half hours before lunch and then return just as lunch is starting if he feels up to it.  

Hot shot was looking forward to going to school for the first time. Hot shot was ready to go to school and was super excited about it too. 

Hot shot soon left the hospital and was happy to be home for a while. Hot shot knew sometimes he was going to have to go back to the hospital to get treatments, and sometimes have to stay there for awhile. Hot shot got ready for his first day. 

On his first day Hot shot saw his friends from the hospital, Hoist, Medix, Whirl and Wedge were in his class. The teacher told them that Hot shot, Hoist, Medix, Whirl and Wedge would always be in class because they had something called brain cancer and need to be in the hospital a lot. The kids who were only five were very curious about this. Hot shot was happy to be enjoying his first day of kindergarten. 

Many of the older kids in school knew what was going on as well. They were all very supportive of Hot shot and his friends.

Hot shot and his friends still had to leave for a short while and then come back after radiation. The kids were wondering about radiation therapy. Hot shot and his friends said it helps make the cancer in their brains go away and it doesn't make them radioactive. 

The kids were wondering if it hurt.

"No it doesn't hurt at all," Hot shot said.

"But is does make our hair fall out and make our skin itchy and sore," Medix said. 

"But in October we will have our last treatment and then we can got to school while we rest from it before we start chemotherapy," Whirl said.

"What is chemotherapy?" a kid name Joey asked. 

"It is medicine that will help us get better," Hoist answered.

"It will kill the cancer cells,"  Wedge said. 

"It will also make our hair fall out too," Hot shot said. "But our doctors say our hair will grow back after treatment ends," he said.

"Can we catch your cancer?' a kid named Alex asked.

"No you can't catch cancer, it happens when parts of your own body go wrong," Medix said.

Hot shot was still going to need treatment for while but he was ready for it too.