Chapter 11

Hot shot was going to spend Christmas in the hospital. Hot shot wasn't to happy about that. Hot shot was feeling sad and alone. "I wish I was home," Hot shot said.

"We want you home too Hot shot," Quickshadow said. "But right now you need to be in the hospital, Dr. Zhao and the rest of your care team will decide when it will be good for you to go home," she said.

"But I miss home," Hot shot said. 

"I know your father and I miss you at home too," Quickshadow said. "But just remember you can make your hospital room feel like home," she said.

"I know," Hot shot said. 

Hot shot then yawned and felt tired. "I am so tired right now and I just woke up," Hot shot said. 

"Cancer and cancer treatment can make you very tired Hot shot," Quickshadow said.

Hot shot decided to watch the video on Why am I tired all the time. Hot shot found out that cancer treatment can really make him tired. It is because his body is using a lot of it's resources along with the treatment to fight the cancer and recover. Hot shot learned this is a different kind of tired than you would normally feel. It was a tired that made him feel stuck, out of power and cannot wind back up no matter how hard he tried. Hot shot learned even though he doesn't have the energy to run and play like he used to he can do other things that are fun. Such as listen to music, do arts and crafts, or even read a good book. Hot shot learned when he felt like doing more he can. But for now he must focus less on physical and more on having fun in that is easy going. Hot shot felt better after watching the video.

Hot shot was feeling pretty tired today when a nurse named Joan took some blood. The blood was tested and Hot shot needed a blood transfusion. 

Dr. Zhao came into the room to tell them. "Hot shot needs a blood transfusion because his blood counts are low, that is why he is so tired right now," Dr. Zhao said.

"Okay," Quickshadow said. Quickshadow was familiar with blood transfusions because she knew cancer treatment can affect the blood.

Hot shot was a bit nervous. Hot shot then watched the video on blood transfusions from the imaginary friend society. Hot shot learned there are different types of blood cells. Red blood cells give him oxygen and other good stuff. While his white cells kill germs and other harmful stuff. His treatment kills off the red cells and makes him tired. A blood transfusion is common and painless. A blood transfusion takes 1-4 hours and he has no recovery time for it. Hot shot will feel much better almost instantly. Hot shot felt better after watching the video.

Hot shot was soon hooked up to good blood. They made sure the blood was the type he needed. Because he learned people have different blood types. Hot shot had A positive blood so Hot shot needed A positive. Hot shot as soon as he was hooked up to the blood he didn't feel a thing as it went in. Hot shot was feeling so much better a couple of hours later once the transfusion was done. 

Hot shot was glad he had a little bit more energy. Hot shot and his mother went to Zooti Frooti shortly after lunch. Hot shot loved the frozen yogurt there. 

Hot shot also got a check up from a few of his doctors. Things were very busy for Hot shot. Hot shot was amazed how busy his schedule could be at times. But other times things could seem a bit boring.

At times Hot shot felt pretty happy and good. Other times he felt angry and had to punch one of his pillows. Sometimes Hot shot felt scared and had to give Roxy the rhino a big hug. Other times Hot shot felt sad and there were clowns who worked in the hospital who came to cheer him up. Hot shot would sometimes feel lonely and a therapy dog would sometimes come in. Hot shot loved to pet the therapy dog. Hot shot sometimes felt very sick and tired, during that time he would rest. Sometimes Hot shot didn't feel like eating at all. Other times he was only hungry and had very good appetite. Hot shot had some days where he was feeling many different things.

Hot shot still was going through chemotherapy. Some of the medicines he took by IV and others were taken by mouth. Hot shot was getting used to the IV medicines because the Hickman line made getting them painless. Hot shot didn't like the oral ones too much because they tasted disgusting. 

Hot shot still had to get lumbar punctures to test the fluid around his spine and brain. Hot shot even received some chemotherapy that way. "I hate shots," Hot shot said. He wasn't too happy about having to get stuck with needles a lot of the time. The lumbar punctures that were to test the fluid around his spine was a few times a month. While the ones for the chemotherapy were twice a week. It was painful and Hot shot didn't like it too much at all.

"I hate the lumbar punctures they hurt!" Hot shot said. 

So Hot shot got to watch the video on how to handle shots. Hot shot watched the videos on how to handle the shots. Hot shot knew the video was right he was wondering why he was getting stuck with needles a lot of the time. Hot shot learned that needles are his friends. Some needles are used to take blood or other things from the body to be tested. While others give medicine and other things to help you feel better or keep you from getting sick. He needs to teach his brain even though shots hurt they help him so deal with it. So shots are good for him and he shouldn't be afraid. He learned there are ways to distract himself while his doctors and nurses are giving him any kind of shot ranging from games, videos, thinking of something else, counting, or talking to a loved one. Hot shot saw once he does one of those things the shot will be over before he knows it. He felt better knowing that there were ways to make getting shots easier. Hot shot felt better after watching the video.

Hot shot was wondering what Christmas in the hospital was going to be like. He was wondering if Santa was going to be here. He could tell Christmas was going to be here soon. Because he could see the lights, sights, smells and sounds of Christmas even in the hospital. Because it was decorated even for Christmas. 

"Do you think Santa will come to bring what I asked for even though I am in the hospital?" Hot shot asked.

"Of course," Quickshadow said. "Santa doesn't forget about kids who are sick and in hospital at all," she said. "Christmas is about two and half weeks away, so try to be patient," she said. 

"Okay mummy," Hot shot said.

Hot shot was going to be brave and going to do his best to have a good holiday in the hospital.